Early High-Level Planning - Asia

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Sold. Thanks to both @Hanoi IG and @italdesign for their balanced opinions. Saigon will move to the very bottom of the list and we'll see it only if there is something nearby that requires a stay (or flight) based out of there.

On a different note, we just got serious about getting Yellow Fever vaccines. This, with S Africa coming up in Sept and this trip to SE Asia in sight. However, there is a warning about folks over 60 getting it for the first time. I'm not there yet, but darn close. You would not be able to tell from looking at her (looks way younger than me), but my wife is 61. While she will check with her personal physician about this (she is in excellent health) ... and not to expand the topic too much ... where might I have troubles if we opt NOT to get Yellow Fever vaccinations? If you know ...

Africa: Cape Town, Kruger NP, Victoria Falls (Zambia for sure, Zimbabwe is a want and an overnight trip to Chobe NP in Botswana.

Asia - all the countries previously mentioned: Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. This trip will target places away from major cities! Then there is Southern China.

Crap. I want the vaccine. But we'll have to see what my wife says.
My wife and I will be going to South Africa with a friend. We are all in our 70s. We are actually taking a tour but it is kind of just us. Our contact person said that the only thing we might want is malaria pills. When we lived in Hanoi, my wife's school paid for shots for diseases of which we had never heard, so we got them all. Since then, we have been back about ten times and never had shots and never got sick. Of course we spend most of our time in Hà Nội and Đà Nẵng though have also been to Cần Thơ, Đà Lạt and Ninh Bình without ill effects. Away from major cities you should be a bit more careful. Side effects may include...........

knick1959

Level 2 Member
My wife and I will be going to South Africa with a friend. We are all in our 70s. We are actually taking a tour but it is kind of just us. Our contact person said that the only thing we might want is malaria pills. When we lived in Hanoi, my wife's school paid for shots for diseases of which we had never heard, so we got them all. Since then, we have been back about ten times and never had shots and never got sick. Of course we spend most of our time in Hà Nội and Đà Nẵng though have also been to Cần Thơ, Đà Lạt and Ninh Bình without ill effects. Away from major cities you should be a bit more careful. Side effects may include...........
Thanks. That's what worries me ... the away from city parts. And it isn't even just about exposure to these things ... but from what I understand transit to/from certain countries requires proof of a yellow fever vaccination. I don't want to be in the middle of a trip and find out we can't take the next leg!

The local CDC/Board of Health nurse is supposed to call me back today. I have plenty of questions. But from this link:
Code:
https://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/qa/
You can see this blurb:

"Is yellow fever vaccine recommended for people 60 years and older who will be traveling to areas with risk for yellow fever?

People aged ≥60 years may be at increased risk for serious adverse events (serious disease or, very rarely, death) following vaccination, compared with younger persons. This is particularly true if they are receiving their first yellow fever vaccination. "

Yikes! It suggests discussing with a physician, which we will do but that prevents us going on Friday and getting this out of the way. I love rules like this, too. I'm ~1.6 years away from this threshold. That makes it safe for me and the day after my 60th birthday it isn't?!!

In another spot it reads:

" Proof of yellow fever vaccine may be required for entry into certain countries. "

So this is troubling. Well, ok, we don't want to get yellow fever either. Stay tuned ...

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Thanks. That's what worries me ... the away from city parts. And it isn't even just about exposure to these things ... but from what I understand transit to/from certain countries requires proof of a yellow fever vaccination. I don't want to be in the middle of a trip and find out we can't take the next leg!

The local CDC/Board of Health nurse is supposed to call me back today. I have plenty of questions. But from this link:
Code:
https://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/qa/
You can see this blurb:

"Is yellow fever vaccine recommended for people 60 years and older who will be traveling to areas with risk for yellow fever?

People aged ≥60 years may be at increased risk for serious adverse events (serious disease or, very rarely, death) following vaccination, compared with younger persons. This is particularly true if they are receiving their first yellow fever vaccination. "

Yikes! It suggests discussing with a physician, which we will do but that prevents us going on Friday and getting this out of the way. I love rules like this, too. I'm ~1.6 years away from this threshold. That makes it safe for me and the day after my 60th birthday it isn't?!!

In another spot it reads:

" Proof of yellow fever vaccine may be required for entry into certain countries. "

So this is troubling. Well, ok, we don't want to get yellow fever either. Stay tuned ...

Close to your age. Husband and I both got the vaccine around a year ago with no side affects. No health issues otherwise. Not medical advice just a DP.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
When are you going to SA? I was there in September and on my docs advice did not take malaria drugs as it was dry season and odds were low.

I did take them when going to the Amazon and they made me sick.

smittytabb

Staff member
Yellow fever vaccination and who requires it and where you should have it is complicated. This is the best chart I have seen that explains where it is always required to enter, when it is required from countries where it is endemic and where there is some likelihood of acquiring it. I did not realize that getting it for the first time over 60 was an issue. I've had it twice, ten years apart and now they are saying it is good for a lifetime, so I am set. I've traveled in many of the countries that have it in Africa and South America, so I always carry my vaccination card in my passport just in case.

Code:
http://www.who.int/ith/2017-ith-annex1.pdf

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
When are you going to SA? I was there in September and on my docs advice did not take malaria drugs as it was dry season and odds were low.

I did take them when going to the Amazon and they made me sick.
October. It wasn't a doctor, just the tour company director.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Yellow fever vaccination and who requires it and where you should have it is complicated. This is the best chart I have seen that explains where it is always required to enter, when it is required from countries where it is endemic and where there is some likelihood of acquiring it. I did not realize that getting it for the first time over 60 was an issue. I've had it twice, ten years apart and now they are saying it is good for a lifetime, so I am set. I've traveled in many of the countries that have it in Africa and South America, so I always carry my vaccination card in my passport just in case.

Code:
http://www.who.int/ith/2017-ith-annex1.pdf
This is excellent, thanks!

I intend on becoming a yellow fever expert today and over the holiday weekend (which starts tomorrow for me). But the table provided makes me pretty confident our next 2-3 trips don't absolutely require this vaccine. I still want it and will work hard to get it, but with no anxiety now. As you said, there are all sorts of exceptions to the rules, as we were in Peru and Ecuador, marked as yellow fever areas, but didn't visit any areas that put us at risk. Well, at least that's what I'm sticking with :).

smittytabb

Staff member
This is excellent, thanks!

I intend on becoming a yellow fever expert today and over the holiday weekend (which starts tomorrow for me). But the table provided makes me pretty confident our next 2-3 trips don't absolutely require this vaccine. I still want it and will work hard to get it, but with no anxiety now. As you said, there are all sorts of exceptions to the rules, as we were in Peru and Ecuador, marked as yellow fever areas, but didn't visit any areas that put us at risk. Well, at least that's what I'm sticking with :).
No risk of yellow fever in South Africa, but you need the certificate if you are arriving from a country that has a risk of it. To give you an example, I flew through São Paulo and transferred to South African to fly into Jo'burg. I needed a yellow fever certificate to even board the plane because there is risk in Brazil, even though all I did was change planes and have a layover and never left the airport.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I spent a considerable amount of time speaking with a nurse from the local Board of Health's travel department. I had almost given up on them and was chasing other travel clinics (and still am, sort of). I was surprised she called back (after waiting almost a week) but she was very helpful. Take this info for what it's worth ...

She claims they are very busy ... there is a run on Yellow Fever vaccines and she expects that there will eventually be a shortage. Yikes! Not sure if that is a shortage across the board, or only with their inventory.

She answered all of my questions about this vaccine and others, providing even more info than I needed. But ok, better than less!

I brought up the 60 year-old and above note. She chuckled and claimed they have vaccinated 80 year olds, as long as they are healthly. No problems.

This is a county agency and only provides vaccines 2 Wednesdays a month. We're scheduled for 7/26 (earliest available), but will poke the other clinics that are around; plenty of time to do that! But I worried about this suggestion of a shortage, too.

One other thing. The current Yellow Fever vaccine is reported to be good for life. I believe @smittytabb eluded to this, but the nurse confirmed it.

smittytabb

Staff member
I spent a considerable amount of time speaking with a nurse from the local Board of Health's travel department. I had almost given up on them and was chasing other travel clinics (and still am, sort of). I was surprised she called back (after waiting almost a week) but she was very helpful. Take this info for what it's worth ...

She claims they are very busy ... there is a run on Yellow Fever vaccines and she expects that there will eventually be a shortage. Yikes! Not sure if that is a shortage across the board, or only with their inventory.

She answered all of my questions about this vaccine and others, providing even more info than I needed. But ok, better than less!

I brought up the 60 year-old and above note. She chuckled and claimed they have vaccinated 80 year olds, as long as they are healthly. No problems.

This is a county agency and only provides vaccines 2 Wednesdays a month. We're scheduled for 7/26 (earliest available), but will poke the other clinics that are around; plenty of time to do that! But I worried about this suggestion of a shortage, too.

One other thing. The current Yellow Fever vaccine is reported to be good for life. I believe @smittytabb eluded to this, but the nurse confirmed it.
Yes, I had heard there was a shortage too. Forgot to mention that. What I am unclear on is whether only the *current* vaccine is good for life or if they just generally made a decision that the inoculation (any and all previous) is good for life. I'd prefer not to have it again, having had it twice, but obviously did not have the current one.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Yes, I had heard there was a shortage too. Forgot to mention that. What I am unclear on is whether only the *current* vaccine is good for life or if they just generally made a decision that the inoculation (any and all previous) is good for life. I'd prefer not to have it again, having had it twice, but obviously did not have the current one.
I decide to find out what changed. It looks like it was a policy change and applied retroactively:

Code:
http://www.who.int/ith/updates/20160727/en/

knick1959

Level 2 Member
This is a county agency and only provides vaccines 2 Wednesdays a month. We're scheduled for 7/26 (earliest available), but will poke the other clinics that are around; plenty of time to do that!
Ok, we're vaccinated for Yellow Fever and I got a tetanus booster, too (my last was quite some time ago). Offered a Typhoid shot (good for 2 years) OR a refrigerated pill series of 4 doses good for 5 years. We opted for the pills, mostly for the extended protection. The dosage instructions are a bit different but not too tough. Lots of other prescriptions that we'll sort through once back our next weekend trip.

mec

Silver Member
You have a lot of good suggestions here to consider. I thought I'd add a thought that occurs to me.

You have plenty of AA miles to burn and you could use them to position yourself just about anywhere for departure and return. ANA from JFK to SIN (via Tokyo) is 107,500 miles (transferred from MRs) and $115.46 in business class round trip. If your plan is to focus on SE Asia that may be a good way to get into and out of a major hub there for a pretty good rate. You may even be able to add a stopover in Tokyo on this trip if that fits your plans.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I'm back into looking at this again. I have no specific questions about Asia itself at this point. I am searching and planning on the bookend flights a bit.

Also, my situation with having an easy 4 weeks vs ~2 continues to be a question. I am almost sure I have to make a change of employers but I'm leaving ALL options open.

Looking to get another clump of AS miles for the 2 of us to put us both around 200k. This as the flights I am seeing (that are workable ... J with no mixed cabin and low durations) run 105k on Emirates. Which brings up the first question:

- What's the best way to search for CX award flights that will be bookable with AS miles? I assume I need to call AS if/when I locate a workable flight?

I also see that I can get there and/or back via Aeroplan and MR transfers. Don't recall the carrier(s). But ...

- Isn't Aeroplan going away or disconnecting from Air Canada? I'll have to go re-read all the old stuff. I have double-digit Aeroplan mile balance x 2 ... but is this a viable option if I can't look to book until Feb 2018? (ok, ok, we have a combined Aeroplan mile total of 670 - 3 digits. I only have 70 :)).

- Assuming I want to keep my 2 week vs 4 week options open and go ahead and book 2 sets of return home flights, which airline(s) are my best choice for lowest cancellation fees? That's secondary to finding the best flights, but in the case of a tie I want to know which would be cheaper to nix. Or is there a better strategy?

Thanks again ... in advance.

Last edited:

HariOm

Transcendent Level
which airline(s) are my best choice for lowest cancellation fees? That's secondary to finding the best flights, but in the case of a tie I want to know which would be cheaper to nix. Or is there a better strategy?
As you said, it's secondary (a distant second in my view) but I think Singapore may have the lowest cancellation fee, at $30 to redeposit the points. Cathay is $120, I think.

stellar

Level 2 Member
Search for CX flights on BAs site and then call AS to book.
AS miles have no cancellation charge if canceled 60 days prior.

I'm back into looking at this again. I have no specific questions about Asia itself at this point. I am searching and planning on the bookend flights a bit.

Also, my situation with having an easy 4 weeks vs ~2 continues to be a question. I am almost sure I have to make a change of employers but I'm leaving ALL options open.

Looking to get another clump of AS miles for the 2 of us to put us both around 200k. This as the flights I am seeing (that are workable ... J with no mixed cabin and low durations) run 105k on Emirates. Which brings up the first question:

- What's the best way to search for CX award flights that will be bookable with AS miles? I assume I need to call AS if/when I locate a workable flight?

I also see that I can get there and/or back via Aeroplan and MR transfers. Don't recall the carrier(s). But ...

- Isn't Aeroplan going away or disconnecting from Air Canada? I'll have to go re-read all the old stuff. I have double-digit Aeroplan mile balance x 2 ... but is this a viable option if I can't look to book until Feb 2018?

- Assuming I want to keep my 2 week vs 4 week options open and go ahead and book 2 sets of return home flights, which airline(s) are my best choice for lowest cancellation fees? That's secondary to finding the best flights, but in the case of a tie I want to know which would be cheaper to nix. Or is there a better strategy?

Thanks again ... in advance.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
This is how I do it also. But note the BA/One World availability is not the exact same as for AS - AS has less it seems. So you do have to spend some time on the phone and have a backup date or two sometimes. If you're booking at beginning of schedule, maybe it will correlate more.

Speaking of AS, they were having a lot of trouble finding EK J and F a few months ago when I booked my Y flight on them. It wasn't part of your questions, and it might have changed by now, but everything was phantom then. So keep an occasional eye on the FT thread on availability issues for that.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Perfect, thanks, I see flights including NON STOP J class leaving on select days of the week (for 10-11 months out ... not my time yet, but now I know how to do it). And no cancellation charges 60+ days out? Wow, I had better know where I am at with work by then! Excellent! This makes AS a great choice for the flight home, particularly if I have to book 2 with the thought that 1 would get canceled closer in.

BA would even be workable if I gathered up some more miles (have enough for 1.3 oneway tickets :)). But I have plenty of miles elsewhere. Still ... I have transferable points, too.

Does AS charge the same 105k for CX flights? I'm assuming yes, which makes getting another AS card for my wife a good idea. So we can fly both ways with them if we want (we have SPG to supplement in small quantities). UPDATE - found the AS award chart - 50k on CX in J??!!! Wow. Still good that we now have 2x new AS cards, but what a deal!

@Maverick17 - will find the pertinent FT threads when I get closer in and have a specific plan. Thanks.

Also didn't consider SIN as one of my search cities per @mec ... I need to reread this thread and some others with greater care and amend my notes.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

mec

Silver Member
As far as Aeroplan goes they are supposed to remain AC's FF program until sometime in 2020. What Awards they will have access to after that is uncertain.

If I were you' I would try to use a lot of them so you don't have to hope for the best.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
Speaking of AS, they were having a lot of trouble finding EK J and F a few months ago... everything was phantom then.
Thanks for raising this point. It's still an issue. I've been facing phantom EK J at the AS site for the past week or so. AS said EK still working on it.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
True, however part of the booking fee for partner awards is non-refundable, even if you cancel within 24 hours. Not a big amount, maybe $12.50/pax, although it seemed like a bit more when I paid it the other day.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Thanks for raising this point. It's still an issue. I've been facing phantom EK J at the AS site for the past week or so. AS said EK still working on it.
Ok, so we have some real Emirate flyers here. I've never flown on CX or EK ... well, not yet. However, looking at the AS award chart, EK is 105 to get to Asia in biz while CX is 50k. Is flying on EK that much better? Does it warrant that much of an upcharge? I'm now still likely to look for CX flights, but I want to know what I would be missing.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
True, however part of the booking fee for partner awards is non-refundable, even if you cancel within 24 hours. Not a big amount, maybe $12.50/pax, although it seemed like a bit more when I paid it the other day.
When looking at the award chart, the miles required quoted all had a "non-refundable" label on the column headings. Which made me wonder which was true ... totally refundable until 60 days from, then non-refundable? If all I lose is the part or all of the fees (at 60+ days before), I'm still happy. Given the fees I saw quoted.

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
Ok, so we have some real Emirate flyers here. I've never flown on CX or EK ... well, not yet. However, looking at the AS award chart, EK is 105 to get to Asia in biz while CX is 50k. Is flying on EK that much better? Does it warrant that much of an upcharge? I'm now still likely to look for CX flights, but I want to know what I would be missing.
CX will be just fine. Certainly miles better than J on any domestic carrier.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
We flew CX from JFK-YVR-HKG (just a stop in YVR-we didn't get off the plane) and HKG-REP on Dragonair on one AA award.
Getting closer to booking time (still a couple of months) but I'm going back over the notes and creating a very rough itinerary. I just re-read this.

You booked a CX one way to HKG then onto REP on a single AA award? Same deal, find the availability elsewhere and call AA? I don't recall seeing this option searching on AA (but gave up on them awhile ago). I've got gobs of AA miles I'd love to use. Can you confirm this? Any issues? Thanks!

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
Getting closer to booking time (still a couple of months) but I'm going back over the notes and creating a very rough itinerary. I just re-read this.

You booked a CX one way to HKG then onto REP on a single AA award? Same deal, find the availability elsewhere and call AA? I don't recall seeing this option searching on AA (but gave up on them awhile ago). I've got gobs of AA miles I'd love to use. Can you confirm this? Any issues? Thanks!
AA.com won't show CX award availability. Search on BA.com or Qantas, then call AA customer service to book. Basically if you see it on those sites, AA should be able to book it for you.

I would search the route one leg at a time, so for MSP-LAX-HKG-SIN, search MSP-LAX on aa.com, then LAX-HKG and HKG-SIN separately on BA.com or Qantas.

Suzie

Level 2 Member

Yes. As @El Ingeniero said - I searched BA and then called AA. And, yes, search BA in legs. I've found that if I can find it on BA usually AA can find it.

That was CX J.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Yes. As @El Ingeniero said - I searched BA and then called AA. And, yes, search BA in legs. I've found that if I can find it on BA usually AA can find it.

That was CX J.
Perfecto, thanks! In re-reading this entire thread, I've found myself recently asking questions that were technically explained in very early posts. At that time, my focus was elsewhere. But I give @Maverick17 and @italdesign credit for answering some of my recent questions way before I asked them :).

Having AA as another options is perfect. If I can work out a flight on AA over I can book both of my return options on AS and, with their liberal cancellation options, cancel the one I don't need closer in. In fact, I could do all 3 on AS miles ... the more options, the better (but again, I have tons of AA miles to burn).

Thanks again to all! I'm actively searching and planning and hoping that things don't change much in the next 3 months (so the patterns I'm seeing now are still the same!)

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Hopefully a quick question about booking CX awards.

The BA search tool shows the CX flight I am targeting available through 12/19/2018. It's currently 12/31/2017. This makes it appear to be bookable well ahead of the 11 months I've been waiting for. This schedule is almost a full 12 months in advance.

Anyone have any experience with booking CX > 11 months out using American or Alaska miles?

I'll try it when my date comes into view, but don't want to get all excited if this isn't possible.

TIA.

Last edited:

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I'm not sure about Alaska, but for American it's 331 days out.
So. Today (first time I've looked in about a week ... trying to be patient until 2/12 which should be 331 days) ... BA lists 5 J seats on the flight I want.

I have AS and AA miles. And BA miles, but not enough (will check, but last time I did it was an astronomical amount). The CSR's at Alaska and America won't be able to see these on any schedule until I get in the 331 day range?

I ask, not to be annoying, but because I'm anxious as hell seeing the availability to BA FF members.! And I have to worry about 2 of those seats for 3 weeks? Yikes!

Forget about booking via BA: 210k and $171 for one way (2 people, but still). I may call AA or AS tonight to answer my own question definitively.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I have AS and AA miles. And BA miles, but not enough (will check, but last time I did it was an astronomical amount). The CSR's at Alaska and America won't be able to see these on any schedule until I get in the 331 day range?
To answer my own question, I did a google search. While I don't follow him at all, this came up at the top of the hit list:
Code:
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/how-far-in-advance-book-airfare/
THE INFORMATION BELOW HAS PROVEN TO BE WRONG. Alaska flights can not (or perhaps can no longer) be booked more than 330 days in advance.

Alaska: "If you’re looking to book an award ticket on one of Alaska Airlines’ partners, you can book up to 365 days in advance, pending the partner’s booking rules. Use the chart below to tell if you can book further out." (included chart shows CX bookable 360 days out).

American: " you can book up to 331 days in advance of the departure date, regardless of when partners open up their flight availability."

So. While I have way too many American miles, I also have enough to book the 3 flights I need (including 2 different home options, 1 to be canceled later) using Alaska. And that also gives me the chance to stop over in HKG and then get to REP on the same outgoing award (thanks everyone for the suggestions!).

I'll gather my facts and details and call into Alaska Airlines tomorrow. I do have to still book a positioning flight to Chicago, and I'll use my ample AA miles for that :). Ditto coming home.

UPDATE: I started to collect my desired flight information this morning, only to realize that if I am trying to "stop over" in HKG and continue on to REP ~5 days later, I have to wait for the REP flights to appear on the schedule. So I am still ~2 days off before I can book. At the same time, I'm still considering a wait-gamble so as to use AA miles for this. Perhaps I can't do the stopover, but I can do HKG->REP using 7.5k BA Avios each, and I've got lots of those too.

Last edited:

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
To answer my own question, I did a google search. While I don't follow him at all, this came up at the top of the hit list:
Code:
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/how-far-in-advance-book-airfare/
Alaska: "If you’re looking to book an award ticket on one of Alaska Airlines’ partners, you can book up to 365 days in advance, pending the partner’s booking rules. Use the chart below to tell if you can book further out." (included chart shows CX bookable 360 days out).

American: " you can book up to 331 days in advance of the departure date, regardless of when partners open up their flight availability."

So. While I have way too many American miles, I also have enough to book the 3 flights I need (including 2 different home options, 1 to be canceled later) using Alaska. And that also gives me the chance to stop over in HKG and then get to REP on the same outgoing award (thanks everyone for the suggestions!).

I'll gather my facts and details and call into Alaska Airlines tomorrow. I do have to still book a positioning flight to Chicago, and I'll use my ample AA miles for that :). Ditto coming home.

UPDATE: I started to collect my desired flight information this morning, only to realize that if I am trying to "stop over" in HKG and continue on to REP ~5 days later, I have to wait for the REP flights to appear on the schedule. So I am still ~2 days off before I can book. At the same time, I'm still considering a wait-gamble so as to use AA miles for this. Perhaps I can't do the stopover, but I can do HKG->REP using 7.5k BA Avios each, and I've got lots of those too.
Can you book your HKG leg and then add REP in 2 days?