India Travel too intense with physical limitations?

dukerau

Level 2 Member
I'm planning a trip with older family members, and our top choice was India. Though, none of us has been anywhere in Asia, so we have lots of options of interesting destinations. This weekend we went on a walk with the family members, and one was having a good day physically and struggled with walking 1.5 miles. Are we headed into a bad situation trying to visit India with such physical limitations? Our other top option is Thailand, which is sounding better to me as we could mix relaxing time in beach resort and Chang Mai/Rai with more intensive time in Bangkok and possibly Siem Reap. Or am I overthinking this and Thailand will be similarly intensive to India?

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Siem Reap requires a lot of walking and climbing lots of stairs to see the temples. But maybe if you only picked a couple to see over a couple of days it would work. Or maybe have the older folks see Angkor and then rest a day while the younger ones explore more of the temples? I thought Siem Reap was amazing.

dukerau

Level 2 Member
Siem Reap requires a lot of walking and climbing lots of stairs to see the temples. But maybe if you only picked a couple to see over a couple of days it would work. Or maybe have the older folks see Angkor and then rest a day while the younger ones explore more of the temples? I thought Siem Reap was amazing.
Good stuff. We could probably make Siem Reap with a strategy like you laid out.

Any thoughts on India, though? My research leads me to believe that everything is so spread out that you've got to always be on the move to see a lot. The alternative - staying in a few central locales and exploring the area - seems better suited for other locales.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Depends on what you do in India. You could mix in some relaxing beach time in Goa.

Part of the charm is just being there. My favorite memory usually involves making a personal / spiritual connection with the place and its people. It doesn't have to be super active. That said, I would hire a driver / guide to drive your group around and minimize walking.

PNW-MSSER

Level 2 Member
I am from India, depends on where you want to go and what you want to do. There is usually some walking required at most temples, but being foreign tourists you should be able to afford taxis for most of the journey. What area in India are you planning to visit ?

dukerau

Level 2 Member
I am from India, depends on where you want to go and what you want to do. There is usually some walking required at most temples, but being foreign tourists you should be able to afford taxis for most of the journey. What area in India are you planning to visit ?
northern India. Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, and evaluating where to branch out from there (considering Vanarasi, Ranthambore NP, Rishikesh, Amritsar, Jodhpur, Udaipur)

Suzie

Level 2 Member
I agree with @italdesign. We hired a driver and did the triangle - New Delhi, Jaipur and Agra. India is intense. Lots of traffic and people. Crossing the street can be a hazard to your health.

But the people, sights, sounds, flavors are incredible. My most memorable moments on trips usually revolve around interactions with people. I think you will enjoy India if you don't try to do everything.

How much time do you have?

merice107

Level 2 Member
Go for it. I did India with my brother and things are not very expensive. You can hire a driver to significantly help the amount you all need to walk.

ukinny2000

Level 2 Member
Although at the time I was much younger, I traveled backpacked India (well, a roll-on carry-on than an actual backpack) for three months on a crutch. doable, but not the easiest thing to do