Tax services in the digital age

linda nguyen

Level 2 Member
I thought I might bring this to the attention of the forum. This is a nice alternative to those that might not want to have a CPA directly or save on some costs.

Taxfyle (taxfyle.com) provides CPA on-demand service through its iPhone and Android apps. Using the app, users snap a picture of their tax documents and answer 11 short questions, and a licensed CPA is matched with them to prepare and file their tax return within seven days. Taxfyle costs 40 percent of tax-prep services like H&R Block or do-it-yourself software like TurboTax, Lavina said.

All CPAs on the service are vetted and verified. Taxfyle guarantees that returns are completed and filed within seven days. The service also provides audit protection for $3, meaning the service will stand behind customers in the case of an audit as long as the filing information was not altered by the customer.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Taxfyle costs 40 percent of tax-prep services like H&R Block or do-it-yourself software like TurboTax, Lavina said.
Turbo tax and the DIY stuff can start from Free and goes up to about $100... if we said $50 as an average, 40% of that would be $20... these guys really get you a CPA for $20?

linda nguyen

Level 2 Member
They had quoted that it was 40% cheaper in an article I read. I don't actually think that's the case. The site says other services are 40% more expensive. That's a big difference. I think that the service can't be used though for someone that doesn't need to meet with a CPA and doesn't have an overly complex situation but then can save some money. A tax return for 2 W-2 employees with a house can cost $300-$500 for a CPA to do where I live.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
"Snapping pictures" of tax documents is not a quick and easy process. Anybody whose taxes are complex enough that they're considering hiring a CPA doesn't have the time to hover over the (at minimum) dozens of pages of backup, in order to use that service. Sounds like another App for Dummies, in the sense that, only people who haven't thought it through will use it.

linda nguyen

Level 2 Member
"Snapping pictures" of tax documents is not a quick and easy process. Anybody whose taxes are complex enough that they're considering hiring a CPA doesn't have the time to hover over the (at minimum) dozens of pages of backup, in order to use that service. Sounds like another App for Dummies, in the sense that, only people who haven't thought it through will use it.
I can't say that I have used it but I get the ease of it. We use to have to meet with out accountant to at least drop off the information. It doesn't take much time to take a picture of a document or potentially scan. Like anything it could be right for the right type of person. Some people just like having a CPA do their tax work even though they don't need it. At a minimum it could save a little time and a little money.

redbirdsj

Level 2 Member
I can't say that I have used it but I get the ease of it. We use to have to meet with out accountant to at least drop off the information. It doesn't take much time to take a picture of a document or potentially scan. Like anything it could be right for the right type of person. Some people just like having a CPA do their tax work even though they don't need it. At a minimum it could save a little time and a little money.
Exactly. The target customers for this service are not people who are comfortable doing their own returns with tax software. This service is a middleman for people who want/need a CPA and don't want to have to go through traditional means to vet the reputation of the CPA, shop around to make sure they're getting a fair price and who want the instant feedback loop to ensure good service. It's the uber/lawnstarter/etc. for tax preparers.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Perhaps we're looking at two different things, here. I'm envisioning snapping and uploading the multitude of documents I need for my business expenses, along with, not just a Form 1040, and itemized deductions, but the various and sundry forms for small business tax returns. Me, I'm good with doing it with a "home and small business" app bought online and filed in the same place.