Cuba trips

JOHN Hansen

Level 2 Member
When I lived in Florida I made 22 (supposedly) illegal trips to Cuba, and was caught 3 times on the return, each time by US immigration at Nassau. Never had a problem coming back via Costa Rica, Jamaica, Canada, Mexico or Venezuela.
The first 2 times I was let off with a warning: "You can get 5 years in jail and/or a $500,000 fine."
The 3rd time I was told I would be receiving a letter from the Treasury Dept.
I contacted the ACLU and was told to forward the letter to them when received. They told me that the US gov't cannot charge American residents with the crime of being a tourist in another country.
However no such letter ever came, so I continued traveling there many more times, but avoided the Nassau route. I met many many other Americans there doing the same thing, and none had been bothered.
When you think about it, it only seems right that Americans should have the same right to travel freely as citizens of other countries have.

Sunny

Level 2 Member
How did they know you were in Cuba?

I don't know if this is true, but someone told me the embargo is around spending money in Cuba rather than physical presence.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member

I don't know if this is true, but someone told me the embargo is around spending money in Cuba rather than physical presence.
There is some truth to your comment - it is the 'catch' you can go there, but if you spend USD there you get in trouble...

Another reader here, also called @John is a big fan of Cuba also, and I am jealous of all of you who have been!

Sunny

Level 2 Member
I agree. I wish I had gone when it was legal for me to do so. Alas, it just wasn't on my radar back then.

JOHN Hansen

Level 2 Member
I agree. I wish I had gone when it was legal for me to do so. Alas, it just wasn't on my radar back then.

I believe you may be right about the "physical presence" but they ask for proof that you did not spend money there. Since I was on Cubana, back into Nassau, it would be hard to prove I managed free airfare, accommodation, etc. I was told that lying to a federal official (customs or immigration) was a crime so I just answered truthfully when they asked if I had been to Cuba. Searching my camera or luggage would have given me away anyhow. Probably the truth saved me from further hassles. (My guess.)

smittytabb

Staff member
I went legally two years ago and glad I did. It was not like anywhere I have ever been. My passport is my most prized possession, so I would never consider trying to do it illegally. In terms of spending money there, well you have to eat, enjoy some mojitos and smoke a few Cubanos and so that rule makes no sense at all.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I went legally two years ago and glad I did. It was not like anywhere I have ever been. My passport is my most prized possession, so I would never consider trying to do it illegally. In terms of spending money there, well you have to eat, enjoy some mojitos and smoke a few Cubanos and so that rule makes no sense at all.
That's why they implemented the rule :) Again, I am not the expert, but I did look into booking us there and did some planning. I think the US Govt can't ban you from being a tourist, so they found a loophole about using their money instead.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

I don't know why so many people have such trouble getting to Cuba. Its incredibly easy. All you do is fly to Jamaica or Mexico and then fly over. I recommend Cancun, since the flights to Cuba are so cheap from there.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know why so many people have such trouble getting to Cuba. Its incredibly easy. All you do is fly to Jamaica or Mexico and then fly over. I recommend Cancun, since the flights to Cuba are so cheap from there.
I don't think people have trouble getting to it, I think (some of) the people who decide to go have trouble getting back from it, even through those gateway cities, maybe coming back smoking a stogie and wearing this don't help?
Cuba Love.PNG

MaryE

Level 2 Member
I went to Cuba legally about 3 years ago. There are many educator trips. Glad I did. My job overseas paid me in their currency, and I exchanged it for the currency in Cuba. There are two kinds: one for locals, and one for tourists. I went via Panama, and another American on the same tour, came through Toronto. I recommend it before its 'age' is lost.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

I went to Cuba legally about 3 years ago. There are many educator trips. Glad I did. My job overseas paid me in their currency, and I exchanged it for the currency in Cuba. There are two kinds: one for locals, and one for tourists. I went via Panama, and another American on the same tour, came through Toronto. I recommend it before its 'age' is lost.
There are two currencies, but anyone can use either currency. Its not exclusive.

John

Level 2 Member
When I lived in Florida I made 22 (supposedly) illegal trips to Cuba, and was caught 3 times on the return, each time by US immigration at Nassau. Never had a problem coming back via Costa Rica, Jamaica, Canada, Mexico or Venezuela.
The first 2 times I was let off with a warning: "You can get 5 years in jail and/or a $500,000 fine."
The 3rd time I was told I would be receiving a letter from the Treasury Dept.
I contacted the ACLU and was told to forward the letter to them when received. They told me that the US gov't cannot charge American residents with the crime of being a tourist in another country.
However no such letter ever came, so I continued traveling there many more times, but avoided the Nassau route. I met many many other Americans there doing the same thing, and none had been bothered.
When you think about it, it only seems right that Americans should have the same right to travel freely as citizens of other countries have.
Did you spend any nights in Nassau or just tried direct return?

JOHN Hansen

Level 2 Member
No, I just switched terminals and airlines.
Yes, but I still would have had to lie to, and sign a declaration for a government official.
This way I always told them where I had been, so that might have been the reason they didn't bother me.
Each plane was 3/4 Americans and I'm sure many were caught lying, so I actually think all you ever get is the back room with verbal warnings, maybe miss your flight.
I have yet to hear of someone getting jail time or the $500,000 fine.
The worst "punishment" I heard of was a Canadian who did a lot of business in Cuba, (Sherritt Intl), and was permanently refused entry to the USA.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
Cuba would be cool... but SC prevents me from doing so.
People have been denied SC's by traveling to these "unauthorized" countries.
Just something to remember if obtaining a SC is in your future.

JOHN Hansen

Level 2 Member
Cuba would be cool... but SC prevents me from doing so.
People have been denied SC's by traveling to these "unauthorized" countries.
Just something to remember if obtaining a SC is in your future.
I understand your situation. An SC was not in my future plans.
Cuba was on my bucket list and I enjoyed it immensely.
It was also the principle. Americans should have the same rights to travel freely that other free nations give their people.
It's politics taking away your freedom, but the masses are like sheep.

Sorry, didn't mean to get political. Especially since both parties have the same view: Get those old Miami voters!

John

Level 2 Member
It was also the principle. Americans should have the same rights to travel freely that other free nations give their people.

Sorry, didn't mean to get political. Especially since both parties have the same view: Get those old Miami voters!
At the risk if sounding uniformed, What is an SC?

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja

Oh no! You're fine. :)
Just a little heads up for anyone and everyone.

At the risk if sounding uniformed, What is an SC?
Security Clearance.
Cuba is a "no-go".

smittytabb

Staff member
Also if you are applying for Global Entry you have to list every country you have been to within a certain time frame (cannot recall). I know people who went legally to Cuba and they were asked about it during their interview and it was straight forward and easy. Don't even think about not putting it on the application if you did go. If you want to have a rigorous background check go wrong, don't do it. So not worth the risk IMHO. Not that difficult to go legally.

JOHN Hansen

Level 2 Member
Also if you are applying for Global Entry you have to list every country you have been to within a certain time frame (cannot recall). I know people who went legally to Cuba and they were asked about it during their interview and it was straight forward and easy. Don't even think about not putting it on the application if you did go. If you want to have a rigorous background check go wrong, don't do it. So not worth the risk IMHO. Not that difficult to go legally.
Funny, I got my Global Entry quickly although they noted I had been to Cuba. I guess they don't consider me a big threat because of my travels.
Fortunately I've never been to the Middle East or North Korea.

smittytabb

Staff member
Funny, I got my Global Entry quickly although they noted I had been to Cuba. I guess they don't consider me a big threat because of my travels.
Fortunately I've never been to the Middle East or North Korea.
And I have been to both (although only technically in as I stepped into NK by walking around to the other side of the Six-Party talks table in the Joint Security Area at the DMZ).

Last edited:

ZP3

Level 2 Member
Is there a thread that discusses the best / most economical ways to get to and from Havana via Mexico City? I'm going to Cuba over Christmas via Mex City and wondering how to minimize my out of pocket. Is it even possible to use miles via AeroMexico, Taca, et al ?!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a thread that discusses the best / most economical ways to get to and from Havana via Mexico City? I'm going to Cuba over Christmas via Mex City and wondering how to minimize my out of pocket. Is it even possible to use miles via AeroMexico, Taca, et al ?!
IRRC points aren't going to work if they are from a US airline partner... if you can get a foreign program then it might be an option. Arrival pts should work....

smittytabb

Staff member
IRRC points aren't going to work if they are from a US airline partner... if you can get a foreign program then it might be an option. Arrival pts should work....
That is true. I went legally and flew back from Havana to Miami on an American Eagle charter and still got no miles. If you are an American citizen you need to research everything very carefully. If not, you have more options.

JOHN Hansen

Level 2 Member
That is true. I went legally and flew back from Havana to Miami on an American Eagle charter and still got no miles. If you are an American citizen you need to research everything very carefully. If not, you have more options.
The best way is to go to Nassau or Cancun, both close to Cuba. Buy your ticket there. Forget about getting mile points.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

Jamaica is how I went, but I wouldn't recommend it. Its INFINITELY easier and cheaper to do it from Cancun. When I was there in 2012 people were getting round trips for $260-300. That's what I paid for my one way from Montego on a tiny little prop plane.

smittytabb

Staff member
You really value a faster trip in an airport line over experiencing Cuba? Someday you will regret that.
No, if you read the thread, I have already been to Cuba legally:) I am using a hypothetical as if I were to be making the choice, which I am not. Glad to have gone, and never felt like risking to do it illegally.

egflyer

Level 2 Member
The best way is to go to Nassau or Cancun, both close to Cuba. Buy your ticket there. Forget about getting mile points.
I've gone twice, through cancun, and under the radar. I highly recommend it. I also have the email of a tour guide/handler that can make arrangements for you.