How high of a UR balance before transferring to a partner?

Craig

Level 2 Member
I'm curious if anyone who hits Ink+ hard has a balance limit at which they start to speculatively transfer UR to partners?

Sitting around 340k and make biweekly orders from Staples. Previously I would transfer to United if above 100k or so and drop back to 50k, but I'm earning faster than I can burn at the moment and want to avoid future devaluations. Also don't want to get shutdown and have a huge UR balance in limbo.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
Yes definitely want to be weary of shutdowns. However, when I was shutdown, Chase was kind enough to give me 30 days to transfer out all of my points. It would have been scary if they didn't though as I had about 500k points LOL. I didn't want to blind transfer and then end up regretting it later.

For instance, in the end, I transferred a lot to Hyatt and a lot to Southwest. Then a little to United. Since I've gotten shutdown, I still use a lot from Southwest (no complaints there) but have yet to use any Hyatt points. I've flown 2-3 times though on United. I really wish I would have put more points there vs. Hyatt especially since I'm still earning Hyatt points through normal stay bonuses.

ed1chandler

Level 2 Member
Entirely dependent on your risk tolerance I suppose. My balance was about like yours when I got a voicemail from Chase wanting me to call back and explain some transactions. I transferred those points before I made that call. :)

dukerau

Level 2 Member
Yes definitely want to be weary of shutdowns. However, when I was shutdown, Chase was kind enough to give me 30 days to transfer out all of my points. It would have been scary if they didn't though as I had about 500k points LOL. I didn't want to blind transfer and then end up regretting it later.
I've been shut down twice by Chase. Both times Chase gave me 30 days to transfer points out. My spouse has never been shut down, and I let the balance in her account grow without concern (only transfer when needed).

Jedi

Level 2 Member

For instance, in the end, I transferred a lot to Hyatt and a lot to Southwest. Then a little to United. Since I've gotten shutdown, I still use a lot from Southwest (no complaints there) but have yet to use any Hyatt points. I've flown 2-3 times though on United. I really wish I would have put more points there vs. Hyatt especially since I'm still earning Hyatt points through normal stay bonuses.
What level of 5X spend were you doing on Ink and for how long?

Jedi

Level 2 Member
I've been shut down twice by Chase. Both times Chase gave me 30 days to transfer points out. My spouse has never been shut down, and I let the balance in her account grow without concern (only transfer when needed).
What level of 5X were you doing on Ink plus and for how long before call?

Glenn

Level 2 Member
Problem is I sometimes book airfare with UR Portal when the United award price is off the charts. Just did it recently for half of the UR/miles I would have had to use if I'd converted the UR to UA miles. So lately I keep more in UR than before.

Benjamin

Level 2 Member
I'm curious if anyone who hits Ink+ hard has a balance limit at which they start to speculatively transfer UR to partners?

Sitting around 340k and make biweekly orders from Staples. Previously I would transfer to United if above 100k or so and drop back to 50k, but I'm earning faster than I can burn at the moment and want to avoid future devaluations. Also don't want to get shutdown and have a huge UR balance in limbo.
Just to be safe, you should likely just transfer most of your UR points to me.

JivyIvy

Level 2 Member
Depends on usage. I'm at 400k but it's mostly legit earn with very little ms as of late. Chase reps have begun congratulating me on the point accumulation whenever I call in to consolidate balances on my Ink + Reserve cards. If most of your earning comes from ms, it's a good idea to filter points out regularly. If you spend considerably higher than you ms (ie. considered a good client) then I'd say you have little to worry about. I'm personally waiting until mid next year to do a big dump into Marriott and redeem for a 2-week stay at the Ritz Tokyo. I put almost all daily spend on CSR though.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
Depends on usage. I'm at 400k but it's mostly legit earn with very little ms as of late. Chase reps have begun congratulating me on the point accumulation whenever I call in to consolidate balances on my Ink + Reserve cards. If most of your earning comes from ms, it's a good idea to filter points out regularly. If you spend considerably higher than you ms (ie. considered a good client) then I'd say you have little to worry about. I'm personally waiting until mid next year to do a big dump into Marriott and redeem for a 2-week stay at the Ritz Tokyo. I put almost all daily spend on CSR though.
FYI, you don't have call in to combine points. You can do it online.

JivyIvy

Level 2 Member
FYI, you don't have call in to combine points. You can do it online.
Not with business cards. I combine points between Freedom and CSP/CSR online all the time but you have to call in each time you want to consolidate between Ink and personal accounts.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
Not with business cards. I combine points between Freedom and CSP/CSR online all the time but you have to call in each time you want to consolidate between Ink and personal accounts.
While I can't speak to things now as I no longer have Chase, but a year ago when I had Ink and Freedom, I did it online all the time. I never once called in.

Craig

Level 2 Member
This isn't true. I send all my Freedom points to Ink+ at the end of every month online.

JivyIvy

Level 2 Member
This isn't true. I send all my Freedom points to Ink+ at the end of every month online.
Perhaps it's a grandfathered feature with older accounts. My Ink+ Business account is relatively new (approx. 6 months old) and I am 100% certain this is not possible or no longer compatible via online consolidations with CSP/CSR. I've spoken to multiple people concerning this at Chase, as it is not a very user-friendly setup. I've spent a good twenty minutes on the telephone with different supervisors and managers. There is no way to combine points between Ink+ and CSP/CSR through the online Chase portal. I'm able to do so between Freedom and CSP/CSR, but not my Ink+ account. I was specifically told that a phone call to the Chase customer service reps is required for point consolidation between business and personal accounts. I've not tried with my Freedom card, as I dump all points into my CSR account for obvious reasons, so I can't speak to whether or not this is possible between Ink+ and Freedom.

orangemanatee

Level 2 Member
I am able to transfer ink to personal cc's (CSR or Freedom). It requires a separate Chase business login. So I have 2 logins:
1 personal login that shows all personal checking and credit cards
1 business login that shows all personal checking and credit cards AND business credit cards <-- this is the account I have to log in to transfer UR to/from ink. This business login was created over the phone with a rep when asking how to view ink balance with existing personal login

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
I am able to transfer ink to personal cc's (CSR or Freedom). It requires a separate Chase business login. So I have 2 logins:
1 personal login that shows all personal checking and credit cards
1 business login that shows all personal checking and credit cards AND business credit cards <-- this is the account I have to log in to transfer UR to/from ink. This business login was created over the phone with a rep when asking how to view ink balance with existing personal login
I had ONE account that showed both business and personal. Notice that you can only transfer when you use the account that has all things linked. You don't need your personal login anymore.

Last edited:

Newgene

I keep between 200k and 400k each in both the SO and I's accounts. I would rather it there than in united, which has about the same, as well.

MK17

Love to Travel
I have yet to transfer to a partner. I have over 150k in Ink, over 350k in Freedom in my acct and 200k in my SO ink acct. I have decided to wait until I ever get a call, if I ever get a call.

GetawaysRus

Level 2 Member
If you call Chase you can combine personal & business account.
I prefer to keep personal and business separate. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but that's largely due to Chase's 5/24 rule. I am over 5/24 for personal cards, but will drop below 5/24 in mid-2017 so long as you don't see and count any business card apps. So if I apply for a new Chase personal card, I don't want Chase to see my business card apps along with my personal cards.

This does make transferring U.R. points more complex. I'm currently stockpiling our points in my wife's Sapphire Reserve account (where they are worth 1.5 cents per point if redeemed through the Chase U.R. travel agency). So sometimes it takes 2 hops to first transfer from one account into another account as an intermediary, and then make a second transfer from the intermediate account over to her CSR. I go with the flow - whatever the U.R. website allows me to do, I'll go with that.

mactrader

Level 2 Member
Are you able to transfer the UR to your spouse? The only Chase account my wife has is the CSR and once I get the bonus I'd very much like to consolidate those in my primary Chase accounts and close it out.

Speaking of, if you cancel the CSR do you get a prorated refund of the $450 AF?

JivyIvy

Level 2 Member
Are you able to transfer the UR to your spouse? The only Chase account my wife has is the CSR and once I get the bonus I'd very much like to consolidate those in my primary Chase accounts and close it out.

Speaking of, if you cancel the CSR do you get a prorated refund of the $450 AF?
Add yourself as an authorized user and you'll be able transfer online directly through the UR link. You might need to call in the very first time to connect the accounts but after that you're all set. I do this with several family accounts.

mactrader

Level 2 Member
Add yourself as an authorized user and you'll be able transfer online directly through the UR link. You might need to call in the very first time to connect the accounts but after that you're all set. I do this with several family accounts.
Thanks, didn't realize that this was an option. Downside is that the AU on the CSR is $50?

But, my wife is an authorized user on my Chase freedom card. Can I somehow add her authorized user to her web banking and then transfer the points to that card, and then back again to my CSR UR balance? I've done the latter, but not sure how the first part would work.

JivyIvy

Level 2 Member
If your wife has a Chase credit card that earns UR points and you have the same, AND either one of you is an AU on at least one of the other's cards, then you're good to go.

I assume your wife has her own Chase card with a UR balance, right? You'd like to pool her points with your own?

That being the case, you would need to have her call Chase and ask to link her personal card with your Freedom card that she's authorized on.

Once that's done, you'll see her account show up in the 'combine points' section of the UR site and you'll then be able to move points from her Chase card to your Freedom (and vice versa) as well as between your Freedom and Reserve, which should already be linked.

As long as either one of you are an AU on the other's card, it works.

BTW, I believe it's actually $75 per card for CSR. I "manage" a family members card with 2 AUs and the annual fee is crazy high as a result. I'm going to downgrade it to the CSP next year just to lower costs since it's got a high credit line and would ding the other members utilization scores if they were dropped.

mactrader

Level 2 Member
If your wife has a Chase credit card that earns UR points and you have the same, AND either one of you is an AU on at least one of the other's cards, then you're good to go.

I assume your wife has her own Chase card with a UR balance, right? You'd like to pool her points with your own?

That being the case, you would need to have her call Chase and ask to link her personal card with your Freedom card that she's authorized on.

Once that's done, you'll see her account show up in the 'combine points' section of the UR site and you'll then be able to move points from her Chase card to your Freedom (and vice versa) as well as between your Freedom and Reserve, which should already be linked.

As long as either one of you are an AU on the other's card, it works.

BTW, I believe it's actually $75 per card for CSR. I "manage" a family members card with 2 AUs and the annual fee is crazy high as a result. I'm going to downgrade it to the CSP next year just to lower costs since it's got a high credit line and would ding the other members utilization scores if they were dropped.
I'm actually surprised it'll work the way as I thought it could! Yes, she has her own CSR, as do I (200K!) with separate bank logins. We are not AUs on eachothers CSRs but she is an AU on my Freedom card. My thought was to get her Freedom linked with her online banking, transfer her CSR URs to her Freedom, then login to my banking and transfer those to my CSR.

I knew I was off on the AU cost, as of right now since Chase originally sent me the non-metallic card due to low supply I have her using that card out and about and I've been using the metal. Free AU! I do not intend to keep her CSR after I get the second travel credit in December, so will be throwing that in the drawer and keep all of our URs consolidated.

Thanks for the help!

mactrader

Level 2 Member
I didn't realize this, but you can simply just transfer the UR points directly through the Chase UR portal provided they are a member of your household. No need for any complicated workarounds!

Cmonman76

Level 2 Member
I didn't realize this, but you can simply just transfer the UR points directly through the Chase UR portal provided they are a member of your household. No need for any complicated workarounds!
Yeah, this is what I've been doing. No AU stuff.

currid7

Level 2 Member
+1 my wife has a Freedom, no UR-earning card and we'll dump her points over to my Ink+ UR account. Easy peasy, typically instant too.