Amex airline credit through GCs dead?

Beltway Explorers

Level 2 Member
Does SW GC still work, I did $100 on my PRG last year and it worked without any issues. I forgot to change my airline in Jan so stuck with them and just wanted to see anyone else's experience
I bought $100 Southwest Gift Card on January 5. It was reimbursed so I bought a second $100 one on January 7.

Reactions: Jus

gmenrule

Level 2 Member
Amex told me that the 100 credit is only on the Personal PRG not the Business PRG ..so be aware..then they offered me the Plat upgrade with 50 k miles for 10 k spend..politely declined....some folks are getting/targeted 15ok to 250k according to the blogs

WavyCEO

Level 2 Member
Yes the 150K target is going around, I just got one in the mail. It's 100K for 10K spend and another 50K for an additional 10K spend. The 250K is I believe a total of 55K spend!!!

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Amex told me that the 100 credit is only on the Personal PRG not the Business PRG ..so be aware..then they offered me the Plat upgrade with 50 k miles for 10 k spend..politely declined....some folks are getting/targeted 15ok to 250k according to the blogs
Yes, I don't think the biz version has ever had the $100 credit... or at least it didn't 2 years ago when I got it...

JohnnieD

Level 2 Member
Did 100 gc on Southwest 5/4 and got credit this morning 5/7 for 100. Just did 2nd one. Have the ameriprise platinum card.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
June 3: bought $200 Amazon gift card on MPX
June 6: $200 airline fee reimbursement received

mathlete

Level 2 Member
4x Delta $50 GCs worked just this month. Now I just have to remember I have them (forgot about the last $200 I got until buying these!).

Panache

Level 2 Member
SO bought $50 Amazon GC through MPX and did not receive a credit on her MB Plat (it worked in June, she still had $100 to go).

I can't seem to find reports of there being issues, has Amex caught on and is no longer crediting MPX purchases?

knick1959

Level 2 Member
There was a recent report here that PGGM did not work.
That was me. I think they (Amex or Delta or Both) have finally figured this out. I exercised a PMMG less than a week ago that worked completely differently as seen on my online statement. And it did not work at all. I successfully execute the same thing in Jan and it worked flawlessly. Let's see what else is reported. While it would almost have to be AMEX making these changes, the Delta cancellation email seemed to read differently, too.

And my AMEX statement still shows charged tickets and no refund yet. I've triple checked; Delta says I'm all canceled, but it might take a full billing cycle for the credit to appear (which I don't recall reading last time). Last time, refunds posted in 2-3 days if that.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
There was a recent report here that PGGM did not work.
That was me. I think they (Amex or Delta or Both) have finally figured this out. I exercised a PMMG less than a week ago that worked completely differently as seen on my online statement. And it did not work at all. I successfully execute the same thing in Jan and it worked flawlessly. Let's see what else is reported. While it would almost have to be AMEX making these changes, the Delta cancellation email seemed to read differently, too.

And my AMEX statement still shows charged tickets and no refund yet. I've triple checked; Delta says I'm all canceled, but it might take a full billing cycle for the credit to appear (which I don't recall reading last time). Last time, refunds posted in 2-3 days if that.
I successfully used PGGM last week. Credit posted within a day or two of the Delta seats posting and crediting.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I successfully used PGGM last week. Credit posted within a day or two of the Delta seats posting and crediting.
Really. My failure was on 7/26. I did plan on testing it again, but currently I'm on the hook for airline tickets if they don't back out by 7/13 (they WILL back out, but they are on my short-cycle statement right now). And my $76 seat charge disappeared from online 2 days later rather than being credited.

I'll try it again. No harm in that.

Panache

Level 2 Member
SO bought $50 Amazon GC through MPX and did not receive a credit on her MB Plat (it worked in June, she still had $100 to go).
Oops, false alarm. She looked at her statements again and apparently lost count and has already claimed them all. Here's to hoping it will continue in 2017!

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
Really. My failure was on 7/26. I did plan on testing it again, but currently I'm on the hook for airline tickets if they don't back out by 7/13 (they WILL back out, but they are on my short-cycle statement right now). And my $76 seat charge disappeared from online 2 days later rather than being credited.

I'll try it again. No harm in that.
Not sure if it matters but I did a nonrefundable rate and purchased the seat upgrades at the same time. I booked it and then 10 mins later, cancelled. The pending airline charge took a few days to fall off but eventually it did. Here's my timeline info:

Jul 31 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement -$119.00
Jul 31 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement -$81.00
Jul 30 DELTA AIR LINES ATLANTA -$119.00
Jul 30 DELTA AIR LINES ATLANTA $119.00

I made the purchase on July 29th.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Not sure if it matters but I did a nonrefundable rate and purchased the seat upgrades at the same time. I booked it and then 10 mins later, cancelled. The pending airline charge took a few days to fall off but eventually it did. Here's my timeline info:

Jul 31 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement -$119.00
Jul 31 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement -$81.00

I made the purchase on July 29th.
Ok, thanks. I did mine quickly, too, but mine acted a bit differently. And you did this after my experience. NOW, I did one thing that was probably a mistake on my end by acting a little TOO quickly. What reminded me that I had $100 to play with was an email from AMEX telling me to pick my airline. You know, I let $100 (er, $200 over 2) get away last year because I forgot about this with my BRG. In response to that email, I instantly picked Delta and almost immediately tried The Maneuver. Maybe Delta hadn't actually clicked on my account yet?

In my case, I booked the flight then went back in and added the better seating.

Well, once I clear up my current statement I'll try again. Thanks for the detail.

Glenn

Level 2 Member
Used MPX for $5 Amazon eGC, and for $55 Amazon eGC. Both worked. Used MPX for Black Angus restaurant payment. Ditto, worked too. No problem for now.

Interested in why this continues to work but apparently (I've seen only two datapoints-DoC and one other on SlickDeals I think) MPX doesn't work to trigger the $50 off $300 Airfare credit offer.

avagyan

Level 2 Member
Some ppl say in FT that they didn't receive their credits since Nov 17. Anybody got theirs after that?
Have to chose my airline and don't know to which one..

avagyan

Level 2 Member
Yes - $100 WN GC on 11/23 credited 11/25.
Thanks, but I've meant MPX. Ppl at FT say that they didn't get theirs
(WN doesn't work for me, almost two years having the companion pass and have used it only once. They stopped LGA-BWI route making it useless for NYC)
Do you guys wait after selecting the airline? I'm thinking what to pick. If MPX is dead that means I have to pick something else.
Any recent PGGM experience?

Glenn

Level 2 Member
The general sense on /r/churning is that since nobody is getting their credits for the last few days whether they used MPX or not, its just a glitch and to wait it out. But of course we'll see.