• Project C.U.R.E

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • First Book

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Miriam's Kitchen

• Doctor's without Borders

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Other (name them in comments so I can count votes)

• Bles Elephant Sanctuary (from thread)

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • CARE- Credit Abuse Resistance Education (from thread)

• Project Sunshine (from thread)

• Pencils of Promise (from thread)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to thank everyone for using our credit card links for 2015. Each quarter we supported a new charity, that was proposed and voted on by the members here. In total we collected:

Q1 Project C.U.R.E $850.75
Q2 First Book $668.25
Q3 Miriam's Kitchen $1255.25
Q4 Doctors without Borders $467 (amount being verified now)

Total donated: $3241.25

Additionally, we have $80 in the pipeline for the next charity. If you are planning to apply for some credit cards (and are responsible enough to use them wisely) please consider the link here, https://saverocity.com/creditcards and 100% of that affiliate income will be sent to the next charity.. and here's where I want to propose the change.

In 2016 we will support just one charity for the entire year.

After donating to these charities for Saverocity I noticed that you get on their mailing/PR list and they spam the heck out me going forward. I can handle that, but we need to realize it costs the charity time and money to solicit more money from a person, and as such I don't want to create 4 more charity relationships in 2016. Instead, I would like to sponsor just one charity for the year. Additionally, I like the ability to partner with one and really help make a difference to them.

Who to pick?
I'd like to propose that we have a similar nomination and voting process to the past, but also include the 4 previous winners. I think that they won for a reason, and are great causes. As such, there is a poll above, please vote for who we will support for 2016.

If you wish to nominate another charity other than listed, select 'Other' and leave a comment to the name of your charity.

Voting ends in a week (I'll be traveling, but the poll will auto close at that time). Voting is anonymous, and you may change your vote.

Last edited:

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Awesome!

I know how you feel about those mailings, you donate once and you get mailings for life...

tkky

Level 2 Member
Credit Abuse Resistance Education (CARE), which is a program under which people give presentations in high schools about the problems that can occur by overextending yourself. care4yourfuture DOT org. It's run by the American Bankruptcy Institute. It sends hundreds of bankruptcy lawyers judges into high school classrooms and touches thousands of young people.

smittytabb

Staff member
Credit Abuse Resistance Education (CARE), which is a program under which people give presentations in high schools about the problems that can occur by overextending yourself. care4yourfuture DOT org. It's run by the American Bankruptcy Institute. It sends hundreds of bankruptcy lawyers judges into high school classrooms and touches thousands of young people.
I actually have met the person who runs that program. Great program!

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
Bles Elephant Sanctuary in Thailand. They run only on donations and doing really good work. It's a pretty incredible story. A young woman from the UK took a trip to Thailand and was so disturbed with what she saw on the streets she went home, sold everything and moved to Thailand to rescue elephants.
Not only resucing abused elephants but also employing the mahouts so they can support their families without having to buy another baby elephant for the tourist trade. One woman changing the lives of elephants and people.
Pretty impressive stuff.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Bles Elephant Sanctuary in Thailand. They run only on donations and doing really good work. It's a pretty incredible story. A young woman from the UK took a trip to Thailand and was so disturbed with what she saw on the streets she went home, sold everything and moved to Thailand to rescue elephants.
Not only resucing abused elephants but also employing the mahouts so they can support their families without having to buy another baby elephant for the tourist trade. One woman changing the lives of elephants and people.
Pretty impressive stuff.
I would like to nominate http://www.projectsunshine.org/ ( brings recreational, educational and social service programming to children facing medical challenges and their families ) and
https://pencilsofpromise.org/ (provides access to education)
I added your nominations to the thread - you can change your 'other' vote to vote for them if you wish.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Update..

We had our credit card links removed, so cannot continue to support the charities via this method. I donated $1000 to Doctors without Borders on behalf of Saverocity for 2016.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Voluntarily removed or no longer allowed to link?
They cut us off. I had previously voluntarily removed them and we brought them back solely for the charity aspect, and now that is gone too.

I'm not overly upset by it as I'm no fan of the credit card affiliate business.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Update..

We had our credit card links removed, so cannot continue to support the charities via this method. I donated $1000 to Doctors without Borders on behalf of Saverocity for 2016.
Disappointing they removed the links... but that's awesome you donated anyhow.

Bury

Level 2 Member
Crap, just saw this after hunting up and down the site for referral links. Oh well.