Hilton Vets - how often do you get upgraded?

Barbecue Ribs

Just wondering for those who frequent Hiltons with status, how often do you get upgraded?

I got Hilton gold recently thru my Amex Plat. Going to Hilton Ft. Lauderdale with the fam and am thinking of just getting the basic room and wondering if I can bank on getting an upgrade.

thanks for the feedback. Oh and if you have been to the Ft. Lauderdale hilton would love to get your thoughts!

-BBQ

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I can't speak for anyone else. But once I hit gold from my work travel, I got consistently upgraded, even during a huge conference, where nearly every room in an Atlanta hotel was taken.

Now that I again have it from a status match, my (so far) one and only booking at a Hampton Inn got upgraded.

Unfortunately, it was an emergency "the connecting flight was really late" booking. So once we had dinner at 10 PM, we had a whopping 6 hours before checking out to enjoy the pretty decent suite they gave us.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Just wondering for those who frequent Hiltons with status, how often do you get upgraded?

I got Hilton gold recently thru my Amex Plat. Going to Hilton Ft. Lauderdale with the fam and am thinking of just getting the basic room and wondering if I can bank on getting an upgrade.

thanks for the feedback. Oh and if you have been to the Ft. Lauderdale hilton would love to get your thoughts!

-BBQ
You can't "bank" on it if you need it, but I get upgraded 90% of the time to a better category (often better view, higher floor, or more "deluxe" room)

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
What coralsnake said is important to remember for ALL loyalty programs: the hotel (or the flight attendant) doesn't know if you got status, or a seat in F with points, or through a credit card sign up.

They know that you have status because the computer tells them so, and that you are in F because that's what your ticket says. And, if you are reasonably nice and pleasant to them, they'll like you better than a great number of the entitled people who frequent that part of the plane, or walk into the hotel.

benjie1305

Level 2 Member
The hotel who does or does not grant you the upgrade does not know how you obtained your status.
Yep! Thats obviously the thing to keep in mind.

On a side note, I am Hilton Diamond and have been upgraded every single time I have been at a Hilton resort since which included several international Waldorfs and some Hiltons within the country.

smittytabb

Staff member
What coralsnake said is important to remember for ALL loyalty programs: the hotel (or the flight attendant) doesn't know if you got status, or a seat in F with points, or through a credit card sign up.

They know that you have status because the computer tells them so, and that you are in F because that's what your ticket says. And, if you are reasonably nice and pleasant to them, they'll like you better than a great number of the entitled people who frequent that part of the plane, or walk into the hotel.
I am pretty sure flight attendants can tell by the detailed manifest what flight fare class everyone is in.

godsquare

Level 2 Member
I have never got an upgraded in Japan as a Gold/Diamond. Apart from that, I got a room upgrade most of the time.

smittytabb

Staff member
This is my understanding as well. They might not know how you got status, but they know if you're a non-rev.
Right. They clearly know status as well, which hotels do for the purposes of this thread and usually mention it as well in some manner. Status is status. Perks in hotels are largely discretionary unless they are guaranteed as part of the program. Own it regardless of how you go it!

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
I can only speak from experience on Delta, but they can only see revenue/non, and then status. They cannot see how you paid to get there. Miles/upgrade/paid, they have no idea.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a loyal Hilton Diamond and my upgrades have been quite average over time, back in the day when I was a mere Gold it was the same... upgrades were generally speaking to a slightly better room.

Other than in the Waldorf in Panama where we got the Duplex Penthouse suite, which was pretty nice, barring a major service failure where the wife's side of the bed received a chocolate at turndown and mine did not. Clearly a case of not knowing your customer.

smittytabb

Staff member
I'm a loyal Hilton Diamond and my upgrades have been quite average over time, back in the day when I was a mere Gold it was the same... upgrades were generally speaking to a slightly better room.

Other than in the Waldorf in Panama where we got the Duplex Penthouse suite, which was pretty nice, barring a major service failure where the wife's side of the bed received a chocolate at turndown and mine did not. Clearly a case of not knowing your customer.
Used certs for an upcoming Panama stay at the Sortis Autograph. Now wondering if I should be staying at the Waldorf instead!

Barbecue Ribs

Thanks for the helpful feedback everyone!

For an update, in the last week I was able to do an online status match to my IHG Plat, and now I'm a Hilton Diamond!! So I then called the hotel - Hilton Beach FLL - and they told me that they would do a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite, even if I booked a standard room at 50K points per nite. The other option, which I took, was a discounted upgrade at $100 per night to the oceanfront 1 BR suite. It seemed like a good deal (too bad its not a full complimentary upgrade) and the wifer will be happy with the wraparound balcony and full kitchen, so in the end its costing me 200K hilton points and $500 for 5 nights. pretty good deal, no?

-BBQ

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Used certs for an upcoming Panama stay at the Sortis Autograph. Now wondering if I should be staying at the Waldorf instead!
I would imagine that they upgrade. The place was super quiet and they thought we were VIPs..

Location wasn't amazing, but I think they may have given us a town car too...

CWAL

Level 2 Member
I've been Diamond for roughly 4 years now. Upgrade frequency seemed more frequent in the past. I haven't gotten much really great recently. Occasionally a suite.

For my travel, the upgrades really don't matter to me on revenue bookings - all I want is a king size bed and a clean room. I think Hilton gets this, because I feel I have been upgraded more frequently (percentage wise) on award bookings.

Best upgrade ever was also the least useful - I got the presidential suite at the Ft Lauderdale Airport Hilton. I was using the hotel as a 7 hour rest stop and didn't get the enjoy the awesome upgrade to any significant degree...

Barbecue Ribs

So just got back from the trip to the Ft. Lauderdale Beach Hilton. Definitely no noticeable special treatment being a Diamond except for the welcome fruit and cheese plate. And when they say continental breakfast, they mean continental breakfast (no hot food - bacon, eggs, etc - without an additional charge. And speaking of additional charges they wanted $20 bucks for a beach umbrella in addition to the resort fee. outrageous! Overall an OK stay, nothing really to rave about. - BBQ