Using BA Miles on AA flights

ctbarron

Level 2 Member
I need someone to check my work here...

I made a reservation using Avios on a domestic flight (DCA-RDU) on US Airways metal. When I made the reservation it had my BA FF# in it. I used the Finnair trick to change the FF# from BA to my AA FF#. Note this is the AA FF# that used to be my US FF# (I haven't merged my two AA FF accounts) if that matters. Using the AA FF# (former US #) I can now pull up my reservation on the US website. My questions:

1. I think I am ok for both OLCI and PreCheck now, correct?
2. I do OLCI on the US website, correct?

Anything else I should be aware of? This is the first time I've used Avios on US since AA/US merged FF programs.

smittytabb

Staff member
I need someone to check my work here...

I made a reservation using Avios on a domestic flight (DCA-RDU) on US Airways metal. When I made the reservation it had my BA FF# in it. I used the Finnair trick to change the FF# from BA to my AA FF#. Note this is the AA FF# that used to be my US FF# (I haven't merged my two AA FF accounts) if that matters. Using the AA FF# (former US #) I can now pull up my reservation on the US website. My questions:

1. I think I am ok for both OLCI and PreCheck now, correct?
2. I do OLCI on the US website, correct?

Anything else I should be aware of? This is the first time I've used Avios on US since AA/US merged FF programs.
They are in the process of giving AA record locators to US flights. I just booked a US flight the other day on Envoy (Eagle) and I now have three different record locators, one for AA, one for US, and one for Envoy. The drop dead day for all of the switch is Oct. 17. Kind of depends on how fast they move on this and when your flight is how the procedure will go. I would call AA and see if they have an AA record locator for you yet or not. Do you have Award Wallet? If so it will populate it on your Travel Plans automatically.

ctbarron

Level 2 Member
Lol, thus far I only have two record locators - one British Airways and one that seems to work on AA/US. My flight is Saturday so I should know Friday about OLCI and precheck.

smittytabb

Staff member
Lol, thus far I only have two record locators - one British Airways and one that seems to work on AA/US. My flight is Saturday so I should know Friday about OLCI and precheck.
In that case, I'd just check in with your Dividend Miles number and it should work fine.

Jamie

Level 2 Member
I'm embarrassed to ask this question, but it seems that transatlantic flights on AA using Avios incur those big BA-sized fees. Is this correct? For some reason, I thought that AA flights didn't have the big fuel surcharges, but maybe that's only using Aadvantage miles to pay.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
I'm embarrassed to ask this question, but it seems that transatlantic flights on AA using Avios incur those big BA-sized fees. Is this correct? For some reason, I thought that AA flights didn't have the big fuel surcharges, but maybe that's only using Aadvantage miles to pay.
to London? you may have better luck with aer lingus, IBeria, or Air Berlin. Don't forget you can transfer BA avios to Iberia Avios, provided that you've had an Iberia account open long enough

Jamie

Level 2 Member
to London? you may have better luck with aer lingus, IBeria, or Air Berlin. Don't forget you can transfer BA avios to Iberia Avios, provided that you've had an Iberia account open long enough
Manchester. We want that nonstop ord-man flight.

dukerau

Level 2 Member
Yes, they do. Need to use AA miles to avoid fuel surcharges. Worst case, Iberia charges 100k + $715 round trip for that route vs BA's 120k + $1120, and with the right condition you can move BA Avios to IB Avios for free, so that would save a bit. But Iberia partner awards are non-refundable while BA has a very friendly refund policy. And Iberia requires round trip on partner awards while BA would allow you to book one-way.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/10/30/iberia-avios/

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
But why not use IB Avios for IB flights? YQ are much less, and availability is not bad. You may have to take an extra flight or two but net net you're way ahead as I see it.

dukerau

Level 2 Member
But why not use IB Avios for IB flights? YQ are much less, and availability is not bad. You may have to take an extra flight or two but net net you're way ahead as I see it.
Or BA Avios on Aer Lingus ORD-DUB-MAN. There are plenty of 1-stop options that are far cheaper than using IB Avios on AA, but if OP wants to fly ORD-MAN non-stop and doesn't have AA miles, IB Avios is cheaper than BA Avios.

Jamie

Level 2 Member
Thanks everyone for the confirmation and the ideas.
We have enough AA miles for two of three tickets (in economy). I think I'll just use thank you points to purchase the third.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
Thanks everyone for the confirmation and the ideas.
We have enough AA miles for two of three tickets (in economy). I think I'll just use thank you points to purchase the third.
Be sure to put the paid ticket in the passenger name that will most benefit from the points earning of a paid flight.

Jamie

Level 2 Member
Be sure to put the paid ticket in the passenger name that will most benefit from the points earning of a paid flight.
True! I've got a daughter with BA bronze status. We usually put the paid ticket in her name and credit to BA. Good reminder to evaluate what our best option is.