Introduce yourself here!

chuck

Level 2 Member
Hello all,

I am brand new to all of this MS stuff and am fascinated by it. I'm a travelholic without the requisite bank account; hence my being here!

From Vegas and glad to be a part of this place!

janetdoe

Level 2 Member
I'm based out of DFW, and I've been on Flyertalk for a while, but recently decided to increase my MS activity. I have a couple of friends who highly recommend this forum, but I only got around to joining today. Looking forward to participating.

cal1152

Level 2 Member
Hi there....I'm Cal living in the Charleston, SC area. I've been overseas the last 5 years and didn't know anything about the MS world until the last several months. Just looking for ways to travel for less and generate as many miles and points as possible.

Started MSing a few months ago, doing the Flyertalk thing which has helped a bit, but not to friendly of an environment at times. I'm looking to contribute and expand into fresh new strategies. Over the last 2 1/2 months I got approved for 8 cc, Amex Old Blue, CSP, InkPlus, MileagePlus Explorer, Ritz/Carlton....totaled about 250k in hotel points, and 150k in FF miles. Have about 5 different MS strategies right now....nothing new, but have some interesting ideas for strategies, that I'd love to bounce off of folks more seasoned than myself. Thanks....

Last edited:

bonescal

Level 2 Member
Hi, I'm Chris, currently living in South New Jersey, was in California prior. Been doing the credit card thing for a few years now and some MS. Used to visit Flyer Talk a lot but don't so much like all the rude ego driven comments and crap posted there. The Points Jock told me about this forum, so looking forward to learning and contributing. used to do a lot of gift cards with the Chase Ink's at office supplies while it lasted. Since I moved to Jersey, can't find any Walmarts that take gift cards to load BB. So looking to switch to Serve maybe and try that option. So looking for ideas and some help on earning more points. Heard there are secret forums here, how would one go about getting access?

Look forward to hanging out in a more civilized forum :) Chris

chinomad

Level 2 Member
I'm based out of DFW, and I've been on Flyertalk for a while, but recently decided to increase my MS activity. I have a couple of friends who highly recommend this forum, but I only got around to joining today. Looking forward to participating.
Hi Janetdoe, welcome. As info, there is a meet-up in Grapevine today if you are interested.

b_c

Hi everyone! Glad to be a part of the saverocity forum community. I'm based out of LAX. Love traveling and always looking for ways to get a deal. I've started the miles and points game last year so I'm still trying to learn all the tricks of the trade. I've got a a honeymoon to plan for so I'll probably be asking alot of questions =)

mrsjon01

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Yes! You're great on FT, so glad to see you here. Welcome!

damanjeff6

Level 2 Member
Hi, been reading the saverocity blogs and finally decided to join the forum! I'm based out of SFO and hope contribute and learn for everyone.

KyRoamer

Level 2 Member
I am from Louisville Kentucky. These forums combine two of my favorite things, travel and finance. I am active as KyRoamer on flyertalk, milepoint, cruisecritic and tripadviser.

As for finance, I am a founding member of Louisville's Venture Connectors (www.ventureconnectors.org). I practice law with a large firm with offices in Louisville, Lexington, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, among other places. I mostly work with businesses having financial difficulties including some in bankruptcy.

Doing something to make the world a little better is important to me. I am an active lender on Kiva.org and said Zidisha.org. I encourage you to try out those sites.

Mike

Last edited:

inflightmeal

Level 2 Member
I'm new to the board and have been in the hobby all year. My financial situation changed when I was no longer paying for old mistakes (ones I won't make again.). I had wanted in earlier (so I lurked and read) so I'm glad I was finally able to dive in head first.

Los Angeles is my home of adulthood.

Salt Lake Steven

Level 2 Member
Let's get things rolling with introductions! I started this thread for people to say hi, and share a little about themselves.

I am Matt, I set up this forum as a place to discuss Travel and Financial ideas. I am originally from the UK and currently live in New York, look forward to seeing you around!
I'm Steven, I lived in Taiwan and Bali and Thailand for years but I now back in my hometown Salt Lake City, Utah. My husband and I both enjoy miles and points and used to circle the globe several times first class, nice hotels etc. I am interested in latest MS techniques and request access to this topic.

meph

Level 2 Member
Hi everyone! I'm Matt and live in New York. Been playing the MS game for a little over a year now, and looking to join a like minded community. I can't wait to start interacting with everyone more. If anyone has questions on MS, please ask, I'll try my best to help.

Sgnyc

Level 2 Member
Hi - sgnyc here. I live in NYC, raising 2 sons, started getting into points & miles about a year ago. I'd appreciate learning more about manufactured spending and sharing whatever knowledge I've accumulated in a friendly, supportive environment. Thanks to @Matt for setting/maintaining this forum and congrats on your son !

LordByran

Level 2 Member
Hi all,

My name is Byran, and I've been in the miles/points game for several years. I've been active on FlyerTalk for a number of years with the same name, and am looking forward to continuing my discussions here. Most of my travel is out of DC and NYC for business, but I'm originally from Cincinnati so every so often I find an excuse to make it back for chili! Talk to you all more soon.

avagyan

Level 2 Member
Hi, I'm Aram, Armenian living in NYC (Queens). I'm in MS and miles hoarding since Mint times, but mostly for meeting a minimum spend, it's time to expand my venture now. I've just got my new i-device and looking forward to see what apple pay will bring to the game. I'm also in e-commerce and know about the back end a little bit.

Mark Schroeder

Mark, everyone. I live in DC. Relatively new to Saverocity. Incidentally, I will be attending FTU advanced in DC in December. Maybe I will see you there

Thanks!

vike

Level 2 Member
Hey everyone, I'm Terry. Living in Iowa City, IA for the past 22 years. I work in Cedar Rapids, IA. I've been part of the miles community for about 4 years. I have been MS'ing for the last year or so. I still am learning the ropes, though.

dcb

Level 2 Member
Hi, I'm Sean. I'm in North Metro Denver. I don't travel much. I love to read about MS. I'm small-time. Have only every bought more than $500 in a trip once, just to try. I like staples deals because I actually use lots of paper and office supplies. Been working on targeted discover bonuses lately.

TjgWorld

Hi, Tj out of LAX area. Love travel and all that is new to see and learn. Been into the game exactly one year this month and have had 3 great trips with the help of people of sites like this. An awesome game for discount travel! I look forward to contributing!

Abbazappaplant

Paranoid MS'er :)
Hi, I'm Jeffrey. I do MS out of NYC (Manhattan) and have to work a bit harder than most to make it work :eek: Just did bali for 12 days on honeymoon with points and miles and laid out $60 total for the flight and nights. love this game!
looking to see if any NYC based folk have feedback on WU being available at DR/WG's in this area and any help on billpay at the Astor Kmart (will be trying it next week if i can't find anything on it)

HiYoSiver

Level 2 Member
Hello, I'm Gaston. Summer in Battle Ground, WA and winter in Chandler, AZ area. I retired from the Forest Service after 39 years working all over the west.

I have been MS'ing for the last year or so. Mostly getting CC bonuses by grocery spend, then MOs. Limited opportunities in the rural areas I like...

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, I'm Aram, Armenian living in NYC (Queens). I'm in MS and miles hoarding since Mint times, but mostly for meeting a minimum spend, it's time to expand my venture now. I've just got my new i-device and looking forward to see what apple pay will bring to the game. I'm also in e-commerce and know about the back end a little bit.
Mark, everyone. I live in DC. Relatively new to Saverocity. Incidentally, I will be attending FTU advanced in DC in December. Maybe I will see you there

Thanks!
Hey everyone, I'm Terry. Living in Iowa City, IA for the past 22 years. I work in Cedar Rapids, IA. I've been part of the miles community for about 4 years. I have been MS'ing for the last year or so. I still am learning the ropes, though.
Hi, I'm Sean. I'm in North Metro Denver. I don't travel much. I love to read about MS. I'm small-time. Have only every bought more than $500 in a trip once, just to try. I like staples deals because I actually use lots of paper and office supplies. Been working on targeted discover bonuses lately.
Hi, Tj out of LAX area. Love travel and all that is new to see and learn. Been into the game exactly one year this month and have had 3 great trips with the help of people of sites like this. An awesome game for discount travel! I look forward to contributing!
Hi, I'm Jeffrey. I do MS out of NYC (Manhattan) and have to work a bit harder than most to make it work :eek: Just did bali for 12 days on honeymoon with points and miles and laid out $60 total for the flight and nights. love this game!
looking to see if any NYC based folk have feedback on WU being available at DR/WG's in this area and any help on billpay at the Astor Kmart (will be trying it next week if i can't find anything on it)
Great blog!
Hello, I'm Gaston. Summer in Battle Ground, WA and winter in Chandler, AZ area. I retired from the Forest Service after 39 years working all over the west.

I have been MS'ing for the last year or so. Mostly getting CC bonuses by grocery spend, then MOs. Limited opportunities in the rural areas I like...
Hi folks!

Welcome to the forum, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner here, but it has been bedlam behind the scenes :)

I look forward to seeing you around, here.

Cheers,
Matt

DebentureBoy

Level 2 Member
I'm Brian. I've been on FWF for many years and am interested in branching out into the Saverocity forum. I live in the Midwest and travel a fair amount for my W2 job -- both a blessing and a curse. I can take advantage of some geographically specific things every once in a while.

bmrisko

Hey guys, I've been a long time poster on FW and FT and made my way over here in hopes to finding a good alternative to FT. I'm currentll located in North AL where the MS has been pretty good. I look forward to settling in over here.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm Brian. I've been on FWF for many years and am interested in branching out into the Saverocity forum. I live in the Midwest and travel a fair amount for my W2 job -- both a blessing and a curse. I can take advantage of some geographically specific things every once in a while.
Glad to have you here Brian, look forward to seeing you around.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, I've been a long time poster on FW and FT and made my way over here in hopes to finding a good alternative to FT. I'm currentll located in North AL where the MS has been pretty good. I look forward to settling in over here.
Welcome, glad to have you here.

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
Hi all. My name is Matt as you may have gathered from my handle. I've been travel hacking and MSing for about a year now as a method to go on awesome trips while flying in premium cabins. Since I started, I've booked Singapore Suites to Europe, RT from NYC - Hawaii in J and a great deal of short-haul travel using BA points to fly on American and US Air. I'm also sending my mom and her husband to Australia and NZ in J on points. My wife is finally sold on it too! ;)

I've been a member of The Travel Codex for some time now and have heard great things about the community over here as well. I'm looking forward to joining the discussion here and adding whatever I can.

StaticCharge

Hello from STL in flyover country. I'm new to this game/lifestyle/philosophy just this year, having only ever had a couple cc, and not utilizing them to any significant advantage. I have lurked a lot at FW & FT and browse the blogs, but I had not heard of Saverocity until this week.

Not sure if this is a good thing, but I happened on the forum while google searching MS. What made me stay (and read hundreds of posts that first day) and register was Matt's mission statement. The forum is new, and will undoubtedly evolve, but I like the vibe here. Someone upthread described it as low-key, and I completely agree; so much different than the scorched earth approach I read about on other sites.

So, mainly I CB right now. I don't MS (yet) or travel (often) with 2 young children, but I would love to discover what's possible and contribute where I can.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hello from STL in flyover country. I'm new to this game/lifestyle/philosophy just this year, having only ever had a couple cc, and not utilizing them to any significant advantage. I have lurked a lot at FW & FT and browse the blogs, but I had not heard of Saverocity until this week.

Not sure if this is a good thing, but I happened on the forum while google searching MS. What made me stay (and read hundreds of posts that first day) and register was Matt's mission statement. The forum is new, and will undoubtedly evolve, but I like the vibe here. Someone upthread described it as low-key, and I completely agree; so much different than the scorched earth approach I read about on other sites.

So, mainly I CB right now. I don't MS (yet) or travel (often) with 2 young children, but I would love to discover what's possible and contribute where I can.
Glad to hear it. We are new, and as we grow we really need to keep an eye on sticking to that mission of providing a positive place to share. I hope to see you around here and if you have any questions or concerns you can always reach out to me via 'start a conversation' (PM) to explore further.

fstop75

Hello everyone! My name is Andy and I've been in and around the travel "maximizing" game for about 12 years.

My obsession started back in 2002 when I discovered that I could stack Priority Club promo codes for bonus points. After that, it became a challenge between one of my coworkers and I to see who could find the best codes and score the most points during our weekly business travel. 50,000 bonus points from a single stay were not uncommon! I still remember my coworkers shaking their heads at us as we changed hotels every night while traveling for a while. Until, that is, they saw that we each received a set of Ben Hogan golf clubs from Crowne Plaza for our 25(?) stays! I traded those clubs in for ~$1200 credit towards clubs that I wanted and I was undeniably hooked!

While I truly love the experiences that I've been able to provide for my family, I enjoy almost as much, the challenge. In a way, its been like a game of chess. Except that they design the board, they set up the pieces, and they write the rules. But then, ahh then, we get to play. I don't think I can count how many ways that I have earned or redeemed miles and points outside of the intended ways.

I backed away from the hobby about a year and a half ago after it seemed like there was a big influx of people just wanting quick answers and didn't want to do any homework. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. Hawaii is beautiful, international first class is sexy, and free travel is...well, free. Who wouldn't want to experience that? But ultimately, none of this is free, is it? Free with respect to cash maybe, but certainly not free with respect to resources; our time and energy. Add to all that, a fleet of new bloggers who were more than willing to spoon feed the hard earned tricks and techniques of others in exchange for some affiliate credit card cash, and I just ended up discouraged and frustrated. What once felt like a community, now felt like a free for all.

But, alas my awardwallet runneth low and I'm looking for a new tribe (any Seth Godin fans here?). I'm encouraged by the Level 2 concept where there is a vetted group of people working together. Ultimately there is no way to insure that our ideas and strategies aren't exploited by a few, but this sure looks like a good place to start.

I look forward to contributing where I can!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hello everyone! My name is Andy and I've been in and around the travel "maximizing" game for about 12 years.

My obsession started back in 2002 when I discovered that I could stack Priority Club promo codes for bonus points. After that, it became a challenge between one of my coworkers and I to see who could find the best codes and score the most points during our weekly business travel. 50,000 bonus points from a single stay were not uncommon! I still remember my coworkers shaking their heads at us as we changed hotels every night while traveling for a while. Until, that is, they saw that we each received a set of Ben Hogan golf clubs from Crowne Plaza for our 25(?) stays! I traded those clubs in for ~$1200 credit towards clubs that I wanted and I was undeniably hooked!

While I truly love the experiences that I've been able to provide for my family, I enjoy almost as much, the challenge. In a way, its been like a game of chess. Except that they design the board, they set up the pieces, and they write the rules. But then, ahh then, we get to play. I don't think I can count how many ways that I have earned or redeemed miles and points outside of the intended ways.

I backed away from the hobby about a year and a half ago after it seemed like there was a big influx of people just wanting quick answers and didn't want to do any homework. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. Hawaii is beautiful, international first class is sexy, and free travel is...well, free. Who wouldn't want to experience that? But ultimately, none of this is free, is it? Free with respect to cash maybe, but certainly not free with respect to resources; our time and energy. Add to all that, a fleet of new bloggers who were more than willing to spoon feed the hard earned tricks and techniques of others in exchange for some affiliate credit card cash, and I just ended up discouraged and frustrated. What once felt like a community, now felt like a free for all.

But, alas my awardwallet runneth low and I'm looking for a new tribe (any Seth Godin fans here?). I'm encouraged by the Level 2 concept where there is a vetted group of people working together. Ultimately there is no way to insure that our ideas and strategies aren't exploited by a few, but this sure looks like a good place to start.

I look forward to contributing where I can!
Hey Andy,

Welcome, it is good to have you here. Please take a little time to look around, and shoot me a message regarding Level2 etc when you are ready.

Best,
Matt

Panache

Level 2 Member
Hi all!

Greetings from the Shenandoah Valley in western Virginia! I am a bit new to the miles and points game, but better late than never, no?

I've always been hesitant about applying to credit cards, thinking it would wreck my credit score (780) and such. I had one CC from the local Credit Union that I'd use to float the occasional big spend (vacations/plane tickets) for a month. I had heard about the mint and yogurt cup deals from years ago on the news and figured those deals were too good to be true & would require incredibly sophisticated logistics and planning.

But, over the past summer me and my girl took a domestic trip on United and I saw the 50 K mile credit card offers all over the inflight magazine. I got intrigued, it did not take much math to realize that with the ~58,000 United miles I had in my account from previous travels + the signup + authorized user + a little spending = free trip to Europe for both of us. However, I was a bit hesitant. I would often get the credit card offers from Chase/United in the mail but I chucked them, figuring I did not want to pay the annual fee just for a one-time free ticket and that my credit score would go in the toilet if I just applied for the card to cancel it.

Yet, I started doing research, found many of the bloggers, joined FT and and wow....there are still ways to do it! Canceling cards and churning them is actually a hobby! I bit the bullet and applied for the United Chase card. The credit score went UP because of lower CC utilization ratio. I added her as an authorized user.

We both opened an amazon payments account....and managed to MS $3K until it closed. I opened a Serve account and put $1,000 on it right away and use that now to pay mortgage and other bills, once I got comfortable buying a few GCs every few weeks and loading it. Not huge amounts but $1000 every 2-3 weeks. Fortunately, the WM in my area has a working Kiosk so it has been trouble free, and it's on my way to/from work.

I now booked us economy award tickets to Cologne and Vienna in May a few weeks ago!

In the mean time, thanks to what I've read on FT and also the many bloggers, I have:

- Bought $400 in gift cards at Staples with $20 cashback
- Bought $500 gift card at the grocery (Martin's (Giant Affiliate)) and received 1500 gas points. I filled up yesterday for $1.09/gallon. Too bad I drive a hybrid! Even the gas can I brought with me was not enough.
-Use the United shopping/dining portals and earned a few 1000's points on discount days/signups.

Now I'd like to get SWMBO on board with the CC game (she is still skeptical) so we can apply both to other cards simultaneously for a trip to Asia/Australia in 2016, hopefully in business class -- she does not handle jet lag well and is crabby for 48 hours, so I hope this makes the trip more manageable (I won't mind either!). I am seriously thinking of getting the US Airways and the Citi AA card for 40K + 50 K signup bonuses, respectively, and then MS the $20 K over a few months to get to the 110K miles needed for an AA award. What do y'all think? From what I've seen, getting award tickets to Australia in first/business is impossible, but it looks like should be doable to SE Asia or the like.

Also, I'm intrigued by the Target redbird card. The closest Target with cards is a 2 hr drive away. I like the idea of being able to MS $5 K/month but I wonder how long this will last Or should I stick with Serve?

I'd be delighted to chip in and also learn in a more friendly forum compared to FT.

-Peter