Profile Posts for non Level 2 Members

Phantom707

Gold Member
Is there a specific reason that profile posts can only be made by level 2 members? Unless I'm mistaken, they are basically like Twitter status updates,with people just posting miscellaneous updates as to how they feel or what they're doing.

Yes, I get that there are people who post sensitive information using the profile post feature. However, the vast majority of profile posts are already visible to regular members, including posts by level 2 members. Like, I can personally see a lot of profile posts if I wanted to do so.

Or is it just meant to be a reward to people in level 2? That doesn't make sense.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Testing profile posts
Interesting... I've set your usergroup to not be able to see it, you say you can see it some places/ sometimes.. is there a place that it shows rather than it does not?

To answer your original question, I changed permissions for being able to post/view these things just as a failsafe in case people inadvertently posted something they shouldn't... and from my side it seems that you shouldn't be able to read it, but perhaps we have an addon that isn't following the permission rules, I'm guessing its related to a widget framework.

sriki

Level 2 Member
I would've put it into a quote box if I weren't mobile.

Yours is about IHG customer service, free night certificates, and such. It's kind of long. Again, really hard to type from mobile.
Guess the humor is lost on you. Easy on the dislike button, bud.

Phantom707

Gold Member
Interesting... I've set your usergroup to not be able to see it,
Yes, yes, I remember. #bitter #IactuallyhatehashtagsbutIamstillbitter #meta

Regarding the rest of your question, I'm not able to view ANYONE'S profile PAGE, but if I click on a person's avatar and/or name, a pop-up box appears. That lists various information about the user, including their current profile post (if they have one).

Actually, I just tried, and I don't even have to be logged in to view this. I can use a private browser and view the above.

#stillbitter #whatever

Guess the humor is lost on you. Easy on the dislike button, bud.
Sorry. Mobile. Clumsy fingers. All that jazz. Undone.

I got the humor. I didn't like it. I really, really didn't like it. But I didn't mean to dislike it.

Last edited:

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Cool. So its not visible on the sidebar etc, but if you click on a user you get to see a bit of what they say on their profile. Sounds like a bug with the platform. I'm looking into it.

Phantom707

Gold Member
Cool. So its not visible on the sidebar etc, but if you click on a user you get to see a bit of what they say on their profile. Sounds like a bug with the platform. I'm looking into it.
I'm not entirely sure of the first part of your statement. Whenever I'm mobile, the page may take a little bit of time to render. During such time, I believe I'm able to see recent profile posts under the eponymous subheading. However, it then disappears when the page loads.

No, I can't replicate it on command. It's sporadic and requires an unpredictable connection. I can't control that.

But what about the original issue of allowing non level 2 members to make profile posts? Even if you remove the ability for non members to see, is there really no room for people to express short opinions? That's why I made this thread in the first place.

#Ihaveanideaforanewsignature #Flanmannapologizedandwasupgradedinlessthantwoweeks #that'salonghashtag

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not entirely sure of the first part of your statement. Whenever I'm mobile, the page may take a little bit of time to render. During such time, I believe I'm able to see recent profile posts under the eponymous subheading. However, it then disappears when the page loads.

No, I can't replicate it on command. It's sporadic and requires an unpredictable connection. I can't control that.

But what about the original issue of allowing non level 2 members to make profile posts? Even if you remove the ability for non members to see, is there really no room for people to express short opinions? That's why I made this thread in the first place.

#Ihaveanideaforanewsignature #Flanmannapologizedandwasupgradedinlessthantwoweeks #that'salonghashtag
OK so no biggie then.

Per the not allowing L1 members to make profile posts. It's not something I really care about, the purpose behind adding restrictions was to help in case someone gets overly excited and spills the beans on their latest gigs... for L1 people who want to express opinions, that can't be viewed by people in L1 unless they are loading a page for a moment while on cellular data.. yeah, I think we'll leave that for now.

Last edited: