Shopping Alerts?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone use any sites to alert them to product deals? When you factor in the mix of regular sales, Amazon/Ebay Deals, and Groupon/Like Goods there's a LOT to follow.

Is there a site out there that will track a product? EG I'm thinking about buying a new AC unit, would love to put that into a site for global searching and price tracking....

Would also offer the value of price rewind/matching tracking for those who do such things.

Andrew Beall

Level 2 Member
Anyone use any sites to alert them to product deals? When you factor in the mix of regular sales, Amazon/Ebay Deals, and Groupon/Like Goods there's a LOT to follow.

Is there a site out there that will track a product? EG I'm thinking about buying a new AC unit, would love to put that into a site for global searching and price tracking....

Would also offer the value of price rewind/matching tracking for those who do such things.
I don't do it myself, but I've heard of people using IFTTT for that purpose. It could be a little complicated to set up, but you can get any kind of customized alerts you want.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I've also seen it used for mistake fares as well, just thought I would throw that out there.
I know of it for mistake fares, but that is easier... you already have a curated service that is hunting for them, so the URL doesn't change: {flightdeals}keyword{departurecity} but for a product that could appear 'anywhere' I think its more of a challenge... possible, but not sure yet how to implement it.

I tried TrackIF (different company) within an IFTTT but you need a URL, so it would work for a product listed at a store already, such as the homepage, or even bestbuy.com/productname but that wouldn't alert you if that product suddenly appeared at 54% off at groupon.com/goods/productname....

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
slickdeals alerts?
appears to be the same (possibly inferior) to TrackIF, in that you need the URL of a product, not a 'search' of the product. Same issue I mentioned upthread.

labboypro

Chief Factotum
Anyone use any sites to alert them to product deals?
I use camelcamelcamel all the time for price alerts at AMZN. I use their browser plug-in, so any time I'm on a product page, I just click their icon in top corner and it gives me price history (or sets a job to start tracking it for items it's never tracked). On same fly-out, you can set up price alerts. They'll send email any time one of your price alerts is triggered. Easy peasy.

I believe it also works on BBY, but since I don't shop at that hellhole, I'm not certain.

labboypro

Chief Factotum
I don't do it myself, but I've heard of people using IFTTT for that purpose. It could be a little complicated to set up, but you can get any kind of customized alerts you want.
I use IFTTT (now IF) for ebay searches, but based on keyword, not price. I don't believe there's any kind of "< or > function" in any IF recipes that might be able to search, so I suspect you'd have to hit exact price to trigger an alert.

phantasmic

Level 2 Member
I need a new AC unit too. Would love to know if anyone has found a way to lessen the blow with CB or points.

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of AC units are we talking about? Window unit? Central?

You should check your employer's benefits guides to see if there's a discount. I can get some nice discounts on GE appliances now

AIM

Level 2 Member
slickdeals alerts?
appears to be the same (possibly inferior) to TrackIF, in that you need the URL of a product, not a 'search' of the product. Same issue I mentioned upthread.
I use keyword alerts on Slickdeals and it works ok. As long as the poster of the deal uses the name of the unit you're interested in, an alert will pop up. Of course, it won't capture more general alerts like "Accidental 50% off at Home Depot" that you would be interested in.

L

Liquidops

Slickdeals released their Price Tracker Chrome extension. I haven't used it yet but the reviews sound positive.

AIM

Level 2 Member
Just be sure to do the actual purchase in a different browser it clear cookies if you want to go through a portal for yourself; clicking on a link in the SD tracker will insert their affiliate link.

Pinkeleph

Level 2 Member
Thanks will check. We need a central air unit.
Oooomph, sorry.

Got ours replaced last year and it was painful, both financially and from a process perspective. Financially, it was expensive. Process-wise the buying process is fairly opaque. Guy comes out and gives you a quote based on x brand. Next guy comes out and gives a quote on y brand. It's tough to know if you're getting a good deal or not since you can mostly only compare among specs, not brands.

That being said, they will negotiate a fair amount. I narrowed down to two vendors and negotiated them both down. One vendor gave me her ABSOLUTE LOWEST FINAL price, and I went with the other vendor. When she asked why I didn't go with her I told her that she got beat on price and her response was, "oh, well you should have said something, I could have gone lower."

User2016

Level 2 Member
I remember creating few recipes on IFTTT to call me whenever there was pricing/fare error. I know not the effective way of getting notified but then it worked for me .

Your idea of creating something to track AC unit is really interesting and I'm not sure if the automation team did come up with something.