Carlson Took Away Bonus Nights!

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
If you think of it as being hard cash, you are thinking like a victim. The truth is that it isn't hard cash until you convert it. This is EXACTLY the same as points being only valuable after you convert them to travel. If you think of it as hard cash then you will feel abused the same way when the Fido Amex changes and no longer allows cash redemption. It's all points until it changes.

It's great that you convert these monthly. Perhaps instead of thinking that is better we should wonder why we are not converting other points monthly, barring a flexible, transferable reserve.

I'm not really arguing with that, I just am not sure it is worth MSing after signup bonuses at all.
I agree it may not be hard cash until Fido policy changes but still I am showing a way where others can convert them to cash on a monthly basis. By the way, I like MSing for cash for building a cash fund till this game is alive.

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
Not that I expect much but CC is hyping some "big reveal" on their Twitter feed. There is a remote possibility they might bring their rewards points for rooms more inline with other programs now that the bonus night is going away. Yes a long shot I know but I wouldn't cancel this card until one see's what shakes out on that.
I think the 30k offer is what they were hyping about in Twitter while ensuring that they screw the CC card holders.

36902BRF

Level 2 Member
I think the 30k offer is what they were hyping about in Twitter while ensuring that they screw the CC card holders.
I don't think so per this Tweet: https://twitter.com/clubcarlson/status/584189463909249024 from 8:03 PM EST 4/3 the big reveal hasn't been revealed. I think the 30k offer was rushed out when they realized the backlash on the devaluation and that may be why some emails didn't include it. That said to paraphrase Dr. Johnson I am likely letting hope triumph over experience.

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
I don't think so per this Tweet: https://twitter.com/clubcarlson/status/584189463909249024 from 8:03 PM EST 4/3 the big reveal hasn't been revealed. I think the 30k offer was rushed out when they realized the backlash on the devaluation and that may be why some emails didn't include it. That said to paraphrase Dr. Johnson I am likely letting hope triumph over experience.
Oops. I missed that. However, I personally don't expect anything great from CC.

smittytabb

Staff member
I used to think that Cash was king, but now I think points are. Points can be devalued, but even if they are they are often worth more than cash. Whenever you 'invest' in an asset class you buy risk.
Ahhh...you've come around:) I was willing to consider the possibility that cash is king. Been in the points game for a long time. Never went for cash back at all until a year ago after the CLT DO. After a year of collecting some cash back in addition to points, I still think if you know the game, points go a lot further potentially. It all depends on the redemption. And I am convinced I would never have stayed in the game for cash back only. Points buy me things I would never pay cash for and like. You do have to factor the risk in though. Hotel and airline loyalty programs are changing all the time. You cannot make any assumptions about the future of any of them. And you have to not sweat it if your points devalue. You have to be flexible and smart and learn as much as you can about the redemption side. I hear people complaining all the time about how hard it is to redeem points and miles. Stop complaining and figure out how to maximize what you have when you have it.

smittytabb

Staff member
To those of you looking for Club Carlson redemptions, here are my top four from personal stays:

The May Fair, London (class act, fab location & super comfortable beds)
Radisson Blu Bosphorus, Istanbul (Go for the business class room for more points and ask for a room facing the water. It includes a lovely breakfast buffet as well)
Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Copenhagen (short walk from train station & across from Tivoli)
Radisson Plaza Resort Tahiti, Papeete (right on a black sand beach, good for short stay before longer Tahiti vacation)

EDIT: Just saw that the Tahiti property is no longer a Radisson, so nix that. Also saw that the Aruba property is on the market.

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
To those of you looking for Club Carlson redemptions, here are my top four from personal stays:

The May Fair, London (class act, fab location & super comfortable beds)
Radisson Blu Bosphorus, Istanbul (Go for the business class room for more points and ask for a room facing the water. It includes a lovely breakfast buffet as well)
Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Copenhagen (short walk from train station & across from Tivoli)
Radisson Plaza Resort Tahiti, Papeete (right on a black sand beach, good for short stay before longer Tahiti vacation)

EDIT: Just saw that the Tahiti property is no longer a Radisson, so nix that. Also saw that the Aruba property is on the market.
None in US?

grebel

Level 2 Member
I just applied for the business card and got a pending... Been researching on Flyertalk but its a bit of a haystack... Is it worth calling recon on this card? Or is it better to just wait and see?

pillow25

Level 2 Member
I just applied for the business card and got a pending... Been researching on Flyertalk but its a bit of a haystack... Is it worth calling recon on this card? Or is it better to just wait and see?
No don't call because they'll say they won't see your application. Just wait like 2-3 days or wait for the email

lpaca

Level 2 Member
Just some recent info on Radisson properties. We've stayed in 2 US properties & the Radisson in Aruba in the past 7 months.
  • Radisson Blu Philadelphia is very nice - we stayed here on our wedding actually and they gave us a bottle of champagne and drink vouchers (never used); the room wasn't big but it was nice and comparable to other 4 star hotels I've stayed in
  • Radisson Martinique NYC (valentines day weekend) - not impressive and pretty worn; I wouldn't call it dumpy but wouldn't argue if it's described as such; location is great; Gold benefits hit or miss (missed for us)
  • Radisson Aruba - stayed for our honeymoon; nice resort, was maybe 20% occupied in September when we went; lots of beachfront space/palapas com
We also booked the Rad Blu in Rome for this fall - read a lot of mixed things about it, but gonna rough it for a few nights

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
I just applied for hubs and got pending. His credit score is 840 and has never had a US Bank card. I'm hoping it approves so I can meet the spend and book a few nights in Iceland by June 1st. I've used all my nights/pts and had to go to paid rooms. Be nice to get a few back! Maybe I shouldn't have added myself as an authorized user.

Just some recent info on Radisson properties. We've stayed in 2 US properties & the Radisson in Aruba in the past 7 months.
  • Radisson Blu Philadelphia is very nice - we stayed here on our wedding actually and they gave us a bottle of champagne and drink vouchers (never used); the room wasn't big but it was nice and comparable to other 4 star hotels I've stayed in
  • Radisson Martinique NYC (valentines day weekend) - not impressive and pretty worn; I wouldn't call it dumpy but wouldn't argue if it's described as such; location is great; Gold benefits hit or miss (missed for us)
  • Radisson Aruba - stayed for our honeymoon; nice resort, was maybe 20% occupied in September when we went; lots of beachfront space/palapas com
We also booked the Rad Blu in Rome for this fall - read a lot of mixed things about it, but gonna rough it for a few nights
I have stayed in Philly and Aruba & have a NYC stay coming up. Have also stayed in Chicago & that was my favorite of the bunch. I love the Philly Rad Blu too. I booked some 'non-aspirational' stays in Rapid City, Atlanta, and Toronto as well.

lpaca

Level 2 Member
I have stayed in Philly and Aruba & have a NYC stay coming up. Have also stayed in Chicago & that was my favorite of the bunch. I love the Philly Rad Blu too. I booked some 'non-aspirational' stays in Rapid City, Atlanta, and Toronto as well.
The Philly Blu is in the best part of the city (1 block from Rittenhouse Square). The NYC one wasn't awful but was just worn. It's only like 3 blocks from Macy's and right next to a lot of good Korean food if you're into that.

We really wanted to stay at the Chicago one but don't have points to book it before the devaluation. Hopefully they announce something good in the next few months - letting cardholders spend their way to concierge would be nice.

wasabirobot

Level 2 Member
I was staying at the Radisson Martinique and in the middle of gushing about what a great deal the redemption was (my first since getting the card) when I opened the email explaining the removal of the benefit. Such a bummer. It is a great location and I was pretty happy with our room and the service.

I was staying at the Radisson Martinique and in the middle of gushing about what a great deal the redemption was (my first since getting the card) when I opened the email explaining the removal of the benefit. Such a bummer. It is a great location and I was pretty happy with our room and the service.
Good to know...I have stayed at probably 25 different NYC hotels, but never this one. Looking forward to trying it out.

The Philly Blu is in the best part of the city (1 block from Rittenhouse Square). The NYC one wasn't awful but was just worn. It's only like 3 blocks from Macy's and right next to a lot of good Korean food if you're into that.

We really wanted to stay at the Chicago one but don't have points to book it before the devaluation. Hopefully they announce something good in the next few months - letting cardholders spend their way to concierge would be nice.
Yes, love the Rittenhouse Sq area of Philly (I went to college and grad school in the city and have lived in the burbs for most of my life), but we do love to do Philly staycations:) My family LOVES Korean food, so that is good info...thanks!

Wings

Level 2 Member
I can't find any good uses of my points before devaluation (have about 220K in 2 accounts) - any ways to liquidate (for decent $) or trade? Wanted to take a beach vacation, but too tough to get to Aruba from DFW (flight options are surprisingly awful) - considered Radisson on Corpus Christi bay, but appears to be a dump....

pillow25

Level 2 Member
too tough to get to Aruba from DFW (flight options are surprisingly awful)
I know that DFW is tough, but have you tried booking out of MIA and then buying a paid revenue ticket from DFW - MIA? MIA - Caribbean space looked wide open when I looked this weekend (I'm trying to do what you're doing).

Gloobnib

Travel Burninator
I just got the card and now I need to burn through the points ASAP. I need 2 rooms for 2 nights each in PR over winter break/early Jan 2016. Would it be possible to make two separate bookings in my name at the same hotel and still get the 2nd night free benefit for both bookings?

PS - Just my luck, they do a massive devaluation between when I apply and before actually got the card. I'm somewhat used to being late to the party, but this one takes the cake by far!

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I don't have the card, just a bunch of points from staying in the same hotel every year when Husband runs the half marathon in Duluth, MN.

Only need one night at LHR, so I'm good with the Radisson Blu. It seems to me that the best use of hotel points is when you are exhausted and need to get up early for a long flight. Something about the extra plush towels and the better quality mattresses makes that 5 AM alarm not quite so horrendous.

smittytabb

Staff member
I just got the card and now I need to burn through the points ASAP. I need 2 rooms for 2 nights each in PR over winter break/early Jan 2016. Would it be possible to make two separate bookings in my name at the same hotel and still get the 2nd night free benefit for both bookings?

PS - Just my luck, they do a massive devaluation between when I apply and before actually got the card. I'm somewhat used to being late to the party, but this one takes the cake by far!
You can book a 1+1 on points, then book a room and pay for it, then another 1+1. You cannot book two back to back.

Gloobnib

Travel Burninator
You can book a 1+1 on points, then book a room and pay for it, then another 1+1. You cannot book two back to back.
I'm actually wanting to book two rooms for the same 2 nights using 1 card. 1 room for SO and I, 1 room for teens. We only have 1 CC card and at this point I don't want to waste a CC pull on a 2nd one with the 2nd night benefit going away (like I had originally planned).

smittytabb

Staff member
I'm actually wanting to book two rooms for the same 2 nights using 1 card. 1 room for SO and I, 1 room for teens. We only have 1 CC card and at this point I don't want to waste a CC pull on a 2nd one with the 2nd night benefit going away (like I had originally planned).
Don't think that will work, unfortunately.

jd13

Level 1.75 Member
Planned a trip to London and Paris in August when the deval was announced. Going to do two nights at the May Fair then two nights at the Champs Elysees. This is in addition to two nights at the Rad Blu Chicago (I highly recommend) in May. I still have 35k points and need to decide what to do.

Are there any current bonuses going on (30k promo) for CC points?

Now my take on the card. I have both the personal and business card. I will be canceling the personal card soon. I just paid the annual fee on my biz card in Feb. I plan on keeping the biz card. It may not be the best value, but it's still not bad. Here's why it makes sense for me:

$60 annual fee = 40k points
cost of $10k spend (purely MS at $5 per $500) $100 = 50k points
cost of $2k spend to get to 100k points $20 = 10k points
free night cert and 100k points for $180 (or less depending on your method of course)

I can now use the free night cert and 100k points for 3 nights at the Rad Blu Chicago since standard awards can often be found for 50k points. Rooms typically run around $300, more for weekends/events of course. Sometimes standard awards are 75k points. I normally visit Chicago once a year for a long weekend. This is approx $900 of value for under $200 spend. Even better values can be found if redeeming points internationally.

Gloobnib

Travel Burninator
Don't think that will work, unfortunately.
You are correct. No matter how I tried to trick the system, it wouldn't let me book two reservations at the same hotel using the Free Night benefit.

On to plan B: Cancel some existing 2 night stays (only SO and I) for this summer/fall in MSP and PHL (SPG and Hyatt respectively) and book nights at the Radisson Blu instead. I can then use the refunded Hyatt and SPG points to pay for the nights later in the year when the whole family is travelling (and when I need 2 rooms each night).

Not ideal, but I think this is the only way to salvage the value of the CC points post-devaluation-announcement.

You are correct. No matter how I tried to trick the system, it wouldn't let me book two reservations at the same hotel using the Free Night benefit.

On to plan B: Cancel some existing 2 night stays (only SO and I) for this summer/fall in MSP and PHL (SPG and Hyatt respectively) and book nights at the Radisson Blu instead. I can then use the refunded Hyatt and SPG points to pay for the nights later in the year when the whole family is travelling (and when I need 2 rooms each night).

Not ideal, but I think this is the only way to salvage the value of the CC points post-devaluation-announcement.
I have stayed at both Hyatts in PHL (multiple times) and I like the Rad Blu better. Rad Blu
phl was one of our favorite hotel stays.

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
We only have 1 CC card and at this point I don't want to waste a CC pull on a 2nd one with the 2nd night benefit going away
I just got my hubs a card. Arrived today and my plan is to meet the spend in order to book the bonus rooms in Iceland in September and take back the pts I had to use to book the 2nd rooms. Then I'll have him call to see what he can get for a bonus for losing the benefit.

Gloobnib

Travel Burninator
I have stayed at both Hyatts in PHL (multiple times) and I like the Rad Blu better. Rad Blu
phl was one of our favorite hotel stays.
Thanks for the input! Looking at their website, the Blu PHL does certainly seem to be a nicer hotel. I feel a tiny bit better about that specific redemption.

Thanks for the input! Looking at their website, the Blu PHL does certainly seem to be a nicer hotel. I feel a tiny bit better about that specific redemption.
I did a review too....I have one of the Saverocity blogs (The American Travel Project). It's in a great location in the city as well. I am a local so let me know if you have any questions:)

Wings

Level 2 Member
so am I allowed to book 2 night under me, 2nights under SO, then 2 nights under me - all at same hotel and get 3 nights free total (we each have the card)?