Introduce yourself here!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
If I want to write a resource about a level 2 product but don't have access how would I go about doing that?
We're going the way of the Wiki for such resources if it is a product under discussion. There is a Level 2 wiki also. Entrance to L2 currently requires people to:

Take a quick look at our bootcamp (http://saverocity.com/forum/forums/bootcamp.124/

and here are the house rules:

• Don't republish deals you see here, not even on private groups.
  • Be nice. You are free to be sarcastic and joke around, but don't be one of those guys from flyertalk that everyone hates. If you see something that drives you nuts from another member, just shoot me a line and i'll try to sort it out.
  • Don't kill deals (covered somewhat in the bootcamp).
We want people who have a grounding in MS, but if they don't have it they can still join providing they show a basic grasp of the core concepts and a willingness to improve.

pillow25

Level 2 Member
We're going the way of the Wiki for such resources if it is a product under discussion. There is a Level 2 wiki also. Entrance to L2 currently requires people to:

Take a quick look at our bootcamp (http://saverocity.com/forum/forums/bootcamp.124/

and here are the house rules:

• Don't republish deals you see here, not even on private groups.
  • Be nice. You are free to be sarcastic and joke around, but don't be one of those guys from flyertalk that everyone hates. If you see something that drives you nuts from another member, just shoot me a line and i'll try to sort it out.
  • Don't kill deals (covered somewhat in the bootcamp).
We want people who have a grounding in MS, but if they don't have it they can still join providing they show a basic grasp of the core concepts and a willingness to improve.
Read and understand it. So next steps?

P771234

Hi! I am Pat from the Boston area. I came here based on a suggestion from doctorofcredit. I am not new to the points game but don't travel often to use the stash of points I have collected over the years. This place looks like a nice community and has a different vibe to it. I hope to be a part of it!

Jus

Level 2 Member
New to this forum from the Eastern GA area. Stumbled on to this forum looks nice decided to splash and make an account

Firesong23

Level 2 Member
Greetings! I'm Adam from Iowa, I've been lurking for a while and absorbing all there is to learn about points/miles/MS etc. My RSS feed is up to 47 travel and points blogs (!). At first my head was spinning with so much to learn, but I've quickly been bitten by the travel bug.

I did my first AOR 6 months ago and picked up:
- American Express Everyday Preferred
- Club Carlson Visa
- Chase United MileagePlus (50k offer)
- Discover It

I got in on the tail-end of Amazon Payments to help with my minimum spends, and squeaked in a few CC loads via Serve on the Club Carlson card before USBank started charging cash advance fees.

My first trip with points and miles was just booked for this fall: round trip on United to London and Dublin, with a stopover in Toronto on the way back. Club Carlson points (and the free night with the credit card) is getting me 8 free nights in London and Dublin.

I've also been eagerly learning about airline alliances and the "sweet-spots" of the various programs. Until 6 months ago, I had no idea you could use United, American, etc. miles on partner airlines. (What a newb! o_O) Learning about using Avios for short-haul trips on American has been a highlight. I took advantage of the Membership Rewards 40% bonus in January to build up a nice stash of Avios.

I'm planning my next round of applications, and will be taking advantage of the Barclays US Airways 50k and Citi American 50k offers. Surprisingly, I received a pre-screened offer from Barclays in the mail. I originally tried to apply for the Barclays card 6 months ago, but was not able to because I live in Iowa. Barclays has not allowed Iowa residents to apply because Iowa restricts the amount of fees card issuers can charge.

It has been truly exhilarating to jump down the rabbit hole of this hobby, and I am looking forward to many new places to visit.

Tazztrav

Hi everyone,
I'm in TN and fairly new to MS. I've got a handle on the basics and would love to share what I've learned and learn from others! My goal is to get my family of 5 on a cruise ship this summer (and possibly every year) for as little out of pocket as possible.

JayR

Level 2 Member
Hey guys. I'm JayR and live in NY. I love the layout and the warm feeling of this forum. I'm here to learn about travel and then segue into points. Thanks Matt for this forum.

wallinger

Level 2 Member
Hello all,

Im Andrew from CA; SJC/SFO/OAK area and have been continually learning this hobby for about 5 years now. I like researching new ways to MS, obviously taking as many trips as possible and just enjoying my time. Work allows my travel to be as flexible as possible so I try and use my time wisely. So far its been amazing. Hope to be a decent contributor here as well as learner here.

-Andrew

Hi I'm Brian from NY. I started out in this hobby about a year ago. I heard about this site from the points jock. Hope to learn as much as I can here.

Marc_Al

Greetings! My name is Marcus Allen. Friends call me Marc Al for short. From Fort Lauderdale and I just got back into the game. I have a 60k ultimate rewards from Chase ink plus, 45k from my Sapphire and 25k on my Southwest Card. Also have a plum for 1.5% cash back. My wife has 50k on her marriot bonus. I'm here to learn and give back when I find out about good deals or tricks.

thewhitezone

Greetings. found my way here in my perpetual quest to build a better MS mousetrap. I'm looking to churn and burn to fuel as many family vacations as possible.

Dano

Hey Dan here , first forum post ever. started cc miles accumulation Dec 2014 . Just received third card, British Airways 50k. Have done Kiva and Costco gc for spend on first 2 cards, been researching ms for miles. I found this site yesterday read the nebe threads and some others , looks like a good fit and just lurking won't get it =first post .

Last edited:

Hargobind

I'm New here as well. Have been on Flyertalk for 4 months now, checking and reading everyday. And have been MSing from January 11th. In Kansas City area. Wanting to learn more and am willing to test new things out with persistence. Hope I'll learn a lot more here and be able to share my input too!

Brit

Level 2 Member
Hi all, Matt, I'm also a Brit ..can you tell! Live in Central NJ and have been lurking for a little while on this site after being directed it to it by The Points Jock, Richard (who is awesome and so helpful) during our Travel Classes.

I am not new to the travel hacking world using points, as I have been a traveler for many years, always with an eye to collecting points, usually by flying. But, in recent months have realized that I can amass points much easier with credit cards and other methods.

I subscribe to so many blogs, I can't even add them up! Big peruser of Flyer Talk, but find over the years it has become a difficult environment, especially for newbies. Am a regular on Milepoint, which is a kinder, gentler version of FT and I have made many friendships there. In fact, just yesterday I was at a great St. Patricks Day party with many people I met on Milepoint/Flyertalk. Great time was had by all!

Glad to have found Saverocity now. Would like to know more about MS, and have access to level 2 in due course.

Steven58

I like hats.
Greetings. found my way here in my perpetual quest to build a better MS mousetrap. I'm looking to churn and burn to fuel as many family vacations as possible.
Hey Dan here , first forum post ever. started cc miles accumulation Dec 2014 . Just received third card, British Airways 50k. Have done Kiva and Costco gc for spend on first 2 cards, been researching ms for miles. I found this site yesterday read the nebe threads and some others , looks like a good fit and just lurking won't get it =first post .
I'm New here as well. Have been on Flyertalk for 4 months now, checking and reading everyday. And have been MSing from January 11th. In Kansas City area. Wanting to learn more and am willing to test new things out with persistence. Hope I'll learn a lot more here and be able to share my input too!
Hi all, Matt, I'm also a Brit ..can you tell! Live in Central NJ and have been lurking for a little while on this site after being directed it to it by The Points Jock, Richard (who is awesome and so helpful) during our Travel Classes.

I am not new to the travel hacking world using points, as I have been a traveler for many years, always with an eye to collecting points, usually by flying. But, in recent months have realized that I can amass points much easier with credit cards and other methods.

I subscribe to so many blogs, I can't even add them up! Big peruser of Flyer Talk, but find over the years it has become a difficult environment, especially for newbies. Am a regular on Milepoint, which is a kinder, gentler version of FT and I have made many friendships there. In fact, just yesterday I was at a great St. Patricks Day party with many people I met on Milepoint/Flyertalk. Great time was had by all!

Glad to have found Saverocity now. Would like to know more about MS, and have access to level 2 in due course.
Welcome, all! This is a known as a "safe" and friendly place and you are more than welcome. Get your feet wet and feel free to contribute. I've been here a couple of months. I've contributed and no one's been mean. :p

BTW, I'm in Central NJ too!

Brit

Level 2 Member
Hey Steven58! Thanks for the welcome. Central NJ rocks!! I'm a transplanted Brit, but have lived in Central NJ for 20years come August.

Love the hat!

Glad that this is not a "mean" place. While I love the info I can get at FT, I am so uncomfortable with how nasty some of the posters can be, especially to Newbies. Milepoint is a bit gentler and kinder, and so far, although I've only been on Saverocity for a week or so, everyone here seems to be respectful and fun.

Have you tried doing any MS in Central NJ? Have you had any positive experiences?

Steven58

I like hats.
Hey Steven58! Thanks for the welcome. Central NJ rocks!! I'm a transplanted Brit, but have lived in Central NJ for 20years come August.

Love the hat!

Glad that this is not a "mean" place. While I love the info I can get at FT, I am so uncomfortable with how nasty some of the posters can be, especially to Newbies. Milepoint is a bit gentler and kinder, and so far, although I've only been on Saverocity for a week or so, everyone here seems to be respectful and fun.

Have you tried doing any MS in Central NJ? Have you had any positive experiences?
Thank you! My wife got it for me on Christmas and I wear it all the time! About MSing in NJ.. absolutely. I have 2 redbirds (target cards) and going to try to get a third which yields me 5k points per card per month. In fact, I'm going back to Disney on points soon. :)

Best,

Brit

Level 2 Member
Steve58, I have 3 redbirds, and just this week started to load them. I am being a smidgeon cautious in the first month, getting my feet wet. I am using my SPG Amex to load them, along with my Chase PresPlus MC, and am also using them to do bill pay, buy a few things at target, etc. to mix up the transactions.

Not had much luck at Wallyworld. Have you?

Brit

Level 2 Member
No, meaning at WalMart - unloading Visa Gift Cards (debit). The WalMarts I tried close to me seem to have hard coded their registers to treat them as credit only. Can't enter the pin number so can't buy Money Orders or use the BillPay service. From reading other blogs/forums, it seems as though a lot of the WMs on the East Coast have done this. Boo to WM!

GordonBombay

Level 2 Member
Hello all,
I've been lurking on the blogs and forums for a little bit and finally decided to create an account. I've considered credit card churning, MSing, and travel hacking a hobby for a little over a year now. I live in NYC.

Since starting this hobby I have signed up for:
1/31/14 Amex Platinum Delta Skymiles (earning status and yearly companion ticket + 40k miles + $100 statement credit)
12/16/14 Citi AA MC (50k miles)
1/12/15 Barclays USAir MC x2 (50k miles, 50k for my wife)
2/2/15 Chase United MileagePlus Explorer (50k miles)

I have two REDcards. I'll often load from one of the cards above or buy AGC through a cashback portal. I am really good with Excel and track all MS via an Excel spreadsheet or Google doc.

I'm very excited to be here and to learn some new tips and tricks. From what I've been reading on the forums there isn't a ton that I can contribute that isn't already known, but we'll see how things go over time. But in the meantime I am happy to help in any way that I can including Excel!

Last edited:

Steven58

I like hats.
Hi @GordonBombay .. I live in NJ but go into Manhattan to teach every Saturday. Lots of staples there for the Ink Plus, but you don't that. :p I, too, have two REDbirds, and I'm looking to increase to 3 or 4. Welcome!

GordonBombay

Level 2 Member
Thanks @Steven58! The Ink Plus card is looking really appealing for the 5x earning at Staples. I have to read up on some more ways of liquidating VGCs because REDcard is getting harder and harder to load in NYC. Most places have gone debit/cash only and take a look at the card you're using. I'm not sure if I can get around the debit/cash only rules by funding a prepaid debit card like NW Buxx or Emerald, but I guess we'll find out! There's a lot of great info on this site that will definitely help out a ton.