Transferring United miles

Vince

Level 2 Member
hey everyone, looking for suggestions to transfer United points into something else. For me united has a horrible schedule and I'm not sure if I could get hotel points or a different airline. Any suggestions?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
hey everyone, looking for suggestions to transfer United points into something else. For me united has a horrible schedule and I'm not sure if I could get hotel points or a different airline. Any suggestions?
I get the feeling you haven't booked too many awards yet (sorry if that is wrong) so perhaps if you elaborate we can help more. UA miles are quite usable. Transfers aren't going to be that good for you in terms of value, and trades are an option, but should come after you really are sure you need to get rid of them.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Some more information would be helpful. You could consider nearby airports as perhaps you're looking at airports not serviced by ua. Rather than transferring you can book on one of their many partners as an alternative.

United1K

Level 2 Member
You may want to reconsider transferring your UA RDMs. UA has the largest global network of the airline alliances. Perhaps, look to see if a nearby airport meets your UA needs. UA and its *A partners offer over 18K daily flights to about 1,200+ locations in approximately 200 countries.

In order to redeem UA RDMs for hotel/car rentals, you need to be an elite member. General MileagePlus members do not have that option. I don't recommend using your RDMs for anything but award travel. It's just not a good value; however, value is subjective. Saving your points for a saver/standard award ticket is the best way to maximize the value of UA RDMs. I value UA RDMs between 1.5-2.0 cents per mile.

If you're worried about the RDMs expiring, all you need to do is have at least one transaction with your MileagePlus account every 18 months and your RDMs won't expire. If you have a Chase MileagePlus credit card your miles won't expire for as long as you hold the card.

Without knowing the specifics of your question, I hope this provides at least a bit more information to help with your decision.

Vince

Level 2 Member
Thank you, I also apologize for it being such a weak description. I definitely am going to look into that RDMs scenario. Which the whole airline alliances is one of the reasons I was trying to think of where can I for my situation get the better use. Basically these 50k United miles been collecting dust for me and I was trying to think of they could be transferred to another partner or affiliate with out taking a loss on the points. However allot of it was cured by knowing if you use the account every 18 months which I knew but I guess it just nice to be reassured. Thank you for the above suggestions thats going to be huge.