Resolved Saverocity Emergency Text Message Deal Alert Proposal

DL172

Level 2 Member
Alright, so I missed out on the latest United mistake fares, I'm the worst with mistake fares. Could we setup some mass text message system with limited access about mistake fares?

On another note - I'm fliping channels on my TV and even the local Sinovision (Chinese Communist news) in NYC is mouthing about the mistake fare - quite weird.

sriki

Level 2 Member
I am all for it. I know it can be done in general but do not know if this forum is setup to handle that.

I am also open to sharing numbers with any that want to have an open channel on this sort of deal. A group of a certain (limited) size would be most optimal.

Jason

Level 2 Member
I would recommend callfire.com I use them with a non profit. The rate is 5c per message, but it's only a cost when you decide to use it, no monthly costs. You load up an excel spreadsheet of numbers and just type in your text message and hit send, very easy to do and nearly instant to everyone at once.

DL172

Level 2 Member
Well, I mean any responsible member should be allowed to join. The more members we have the more eyes and ears at odd hours. If you want a small group just keep it on the forum, because the deal most likely will be around for a while. I'm talking about the deals already on F/T and our good bloggers friends. Those get killed quite fast, so it doesn't matter how many members here are on our exclusive list

There also should be a finder incentive for example, whoever finds a given mistake fare of some arbitrary benefit (United's recent mistake fair/2 or 3 even) is rewarded by all other members who successfully sign up for the mistake fare (perhaps in saverocity premium membership subscriptions or candy).

We can get a 10 person iPhone group going for starts.

DL172

Level 2 Member
I would recommend callfire.com I use them with a non profit. The rate is 5c per message, but it's only a cost when you decide to use it, no monthly costs. You load up an excel spreadsheet of numbers and just type in your text message and hit send, very easy to do and nearly instant to everyone at once.
The problem is we need every member to have access.

sriki

Level 2 Member
Well, I mean any responsible member should be allowed to join. The more members we have the more eyes and ears at odd hours. If you want a small group just keep it on the forum, because the deal most likely will be around for a while. I'm talking about the deals already on F/T and our good bloggers friends. Those get killed quite fast, so it doesn't matter how many members here are on our exclusive list

There also should be a finder incentive for example, whoever finds a given mistake fare of some arbitrary benefit (United's recent mistake fair/2 or 3 even) is rewarded by all other members who successfully sign up for the mistake fare (perhaps in saverocity premium membership subscriptions or candy).

We can get a 10 person iPhone group going for starts.
I mentioned limited not because I want it to be exclusive but because to keep it optimal. The more people there are to a group the more arbibtrary/subjective the definition of a "deal" becomes & might end up cluttering people's inbox or phone.

DL172

Level 2 Member
I mentioned limited not because I want it to be exclusive but because to keep it optimal. The more people there are to a group the more arbibtrary/subjective the definition of a "deal" becomes & might end up cluttering people's inbox or phone.
Got it. We will have really strict standards of what counts as a deal, obviously a mistake fare. It will have to be banded i.e. something along the lines of

Real Cost Mistake Fare Total Out of Pocket Cost
$100 $20
$200 $40
$300 $80

and so on....

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I set up Push notifications a while ago, this could be used to achieve this goal.

However, the bigger issue might be that we don't really post a lot of them here. I was hoping to steal all the talent from FT but they are too busy flying around the world for free...

Here's how it would work:
  • You connect Pushbullet (an App on IOS or Android)
  • You configure it the way you want. By default any 'alert' you get here (top right corner) gets pushed to your phone. You could just change that in 'Set Alert Preferences' within Xenforo to watched threads only, then you 'watch' the Deal Alert thread.
  • I can build a better 'how to guide' to set that all up on your end, but i'd rather see a fair bit more action on the mistake fare/ low CPM fare side of things before I do that.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I seem to have lost my pushbullet connection. At some point, for no apparent reason, I stopped getting updates.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I seem to have lost my pushbullet connection. At some point, for no apparent reason, I stopped getting updates.
I was going to mention I need to check on it- I'd switched my push off recently for travel, and when we swapped to https it might have affected it.. will look into it.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Just went into the pushbullet server and updated it to https - my phone is showing alerts from tonight, so it seems to be working. I did note that I had to log into Pushbullet App on the phone again, so I did that, and also confirmed here https://saverocity.com/forum/account/external-accounts and it seems to be fine..

The steps might not be needed, i'll hit like on your post to see if that pushes (if you didn't change standard settings..)

Matt

Administrator
Staff member