Disappearing Value

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
hmmm---now that "it" is dead--care to share?
As mentioned, it's Guam because the airport code is GUM, hence gummy bear was one of the nicknames. Also called chiclet at times. One of the tenets of Lifemiles that people like is that many cities are miscoded. In this case, Guam was considered to be 12.5k miles even though it's basically in Asia/S. Pacific because it's part of the US. Some people would get off in Hawaii or Japan en route. Although I flew it once all the way, and Guam is a nice little island. This route was highly publicized in blogs and kind of surprising that it lasted so long.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
Although it seems this program doesn't get much love here yet, for the record it should be mentioned there is a new award chart starting in October 2014. Devaluations are in the 20-30% range from what I've read on the more popular routes. Some added value, such as OZ-North Asia now cheaper than OZ-SE Asia. Lots of discussion on FT and Aussie FF if you're so inclined, I won't repeat much here since there seems little interest.

MarkD

Level 2 Member
Anyone with ideas on how to see Austrian or Lufthansa award space through Avianca LifeMiles? They seem to be blocking it. Is calling the only option? I've heard how horrible their customer service is.

Lucky had an article today that mentioned how much award space there is visible on United but you can't see the space in LifeMiles.

TheBOSman

Staff member
Austrian doesn't show, as LM has a problem with sub-operators, and almost all of Austrian airline flights are operated by a company called Tyrolean Air. LH F is blocked, but biz and economy are not blocked.

smittytabb

Staff member
Although it seems this program doesn't get much love here yet, for the record it should be mentioned there is a new award chart starting in October 2014. Devaluations are in the 20-30% range from what I've read on the more popular routes. Some added value, such as OZ-North Asia now cheaper than OZ-SE Asia. Lots of discussion on FT and Aussie FF if you're so inclined, I won't repeat much here since there seems little interest.
Oh do tell. OZ-North Asia is intriguing...

MarkD

Level 2 Member
Austrian doesn't show, as LM has a problem with sub-operators, and almost all of Austrian airline flights are operated by a company called Tyrolean Air.
So no workarounds/hacks? I had a feeling that Lucky knows a way to see it but just didn't want to publicize it.

TheBOSman

Staff member
So no workarounds/hacks? I had a feeling that Lucky knows a way to see it but just didn't want to publicize it.
None that I am aware of, it is a limitation of the booking engine.

If I knew of a way and didn't want to publicize, I simply wouldn't answer ;). But there are multiple other instances of similar operating arrangements that LM can't find. It isn't blocking, and it isn't unique to OS.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
Not a trick. Simply less miles - in Y N Asia is 40k versus SE Asia 45k. And in J, less by 7.5k to SE Asia than previously, and 15k less to North Asia than before, so the same 80k for both destinations. And OZ to Hawaii and Europe went down a little.

Oh do tell. OZ-North Asia is intriguing...

al613

When SAW was gone it was pretty bad. I only know one trick that left to go from Asia to Europe, that I really don't need. Anyone else knows anything that left?