Chase Recon Line - Personal Card

bama

Level 2 Member
I recently called the Chase recon line after being turned down for the Southwest Premier card for:
  • having too many recent inquires (3 apps in March, including Marriott rewards; 1 app in May Chase Ink)
  • too many recently opened Chase accounts
  • maximum credit limit.
The call was successful, as seems to still be the experience with most. I made sure to lead off with that I have some upcoming trips and SW has nonstop flights from my airport. I also said that if they wanted to move around some of my credit lines, that'd be fine too. I did not mention the 50K mile bonus.

They put me on pause and spent about 3-4 minutes reviewing the request. From my experience, Chase customer service is good and this was no exception. Very polite. I was asked how much of my Marriott line I'd like to move (I moved $7,500 out of $15,000).

Some other details: my TU credit score is 818 and I have had a Chase Freedom card for nearly five years prior.

Third Chase card in 3 months tells me that you can apply for multiple Chase cards in a relatively short window, but it helps to have a history with them and you should expect to call the recon line.

Looking back, I may have been better off trying to time getting the card in January to max out the companion pass. And if the bonus wasn't 50K, might've been better off going for the Sapphire.

PainCorp

Level 2.14 on Dining/Travel until 12/15
I'm debating applying for the Chase Hyatt card. I'm at my max credit with Chase ($21.4k) partially due to them seeing $50k in CL with other banks. My FICO is 781, and I've never missed a payment, they always compliment me on my great credit history before they deny me.

That being said, has anyone had any issues with Chase recon people making comment about obvious MS on accounts? I could feasibly move $5k to this card, but if they look at my Freedom or CSP cards they are going to see very obvious MS, about $15k a month in large charges.

Toni Perkins

Level 2 Member
Glad things went so smoothly for you with Chase! I called today and wow, I felt like I was on trial for murder! The lady hounded me hard! I got what I wanted in the end, but I felt like I had just confessed my darkest secrets to a priest or something after getting off the phone with her. Maybe she could smell my fear? Ha ha!

smittytabb

Staff member
I'm debating applying for the Chase Hyatt card. I'm at my max credit with Chase ($21.4k) partially due to them seeing $50k in CL with other banks. My FICO is 781, and I've never missed a payment, they always compliment me on my great credit history before they deny me.

That being said, has anyone had any issues with Chase recon people making comment about obvious MS on accounts? I could feasibly move $5k to this card, but if they look at my Freedom or CSP cards they are going to see very obvious MS, about $15k a month in large charges.
No, it would be nice to know, but does anyone know what data they have access to?

stellar

Level 2 Member
I have applied for and received 4 chase cards in 2014. I had to call recon for 2 of them (success!), for a 3rd I was successful using SM. The 4th and most recent business application was automatically approved.

gmenrule

Level 2 Member
I had 5 and was denied a 6th. Not counting Ink which is business.
CXL: Sapphire,UA MPlus,Marriott. Hoping to refresh AOR when I get back from down under in May. Kept Freedom and Amazon. Did not call about the denial because SO applied and was accepted. I have no idea what they are privy too...prob too much....agree the svc people are professional and accomodating

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I had 5 and was denied a 6th. Not counting Ink which is business.
CXL: Sapphire,UA MPlus,Marriott. Hoping to refresh AOR when I get back from down under in May. Kept Freedom and Amazon. Did not call about the denial because SO applied and was accepted. I have no idea what they are privy too...prob too much....agree the svc people are professional and accomodating
I don't recall this 100%, but I thought I remember seeing somewhere that the limit on Chase CC was 5. Curious as to why you're keeping the Amazon?