Review Renaissance Izmir Hotel

smittytabb

Staff member
I booked the Renaissance Izmir on points as part of a 13 night free room-a-thon I organized for my last 90K USAir J redemption taking me to Asia with a stopover in Europe. When I booked the room originally it was a category 3 property. In the months before my stay it was devalued to a category 2. That made the one night stay just 10,000 points. I really wondered what I would find when we arrived as you never know why a property is being downgraded. I had been to Izmir before and I knew where the property was as I had seen it from the boardwalk along the water, but I had never made my way over to it. The hotel is excellent, especially given the value proposition. The standard room was very large, modern and well appointed. We were given an invite to the cocktail reception in the lobby for elites since there is no concierge lounge. The food was nice and the Turkish wine was flowing. As a Platinum we had a free buffet breakfast upstairs in the restaurant and it was a beautiful, delicious and generous offering. The restaurant has outdoor tables with a nice view and is also a great place to go after dark. This property really surprised me. I was not sure what to expect, but I would recommend it without reservation. The desk staff were super helpful and friendly and it was a great experience.

Andrew

Level 2 Member
My wife is from Izmir and we are heading there in a little over three weeks for our Turkish wedding (we just got married in the US this morning actually but we are having a larger wedding there).

I have spend a good amount of time in Izmir and Istanbul. How did you find Izmir as a city? Just curious as is a place close to my heart.

smittytabb

Staff member
My wife is from Izmir and we are heading there in a little over three weeks for our Turkish wedding (we just got married in the US this morning actually but we are having a larger wedding there).

I have spend a good amount of time in Izmir and Istanbul. How did you find Izmir as a city? Just curious as is a place close to my heart.
Congratulations Andrew on your marriage! I love Turkey in general and I have been to Istanbul four times and Izmir twice. I think it is a very interesting and beautiful city. Get off the forum:) It's your wedding day...

Andrew

Level 2 Member
Congratulations Andrew on your marriage! I love Turkey in general and I have been to Istanbul four times and Izmir twice. I think it is a very interesting and beautiful city. Get off the forum:) It's your wedding day...
smittytabb, I'm glad you like Turkey! The marriage ceremony today was only a small civil ceremony at city hall as we needed to get married in the US before doing so in Turkey. My wife (this is only the second time I have written this word) and I went to work directly after the ceremony, though we did have a glass of champagne to celebrate at night when we got home.