new to skymiles

LowHassleMS

Level 2 Member
I'm based in SFO and have never collected skymiles. I have signed up for many of the major CCs so far. I see an offer for delta skymiles now and then but b/c people are always beating up skymiles program, I've never bothered. I flew delta to Alaska this year and collected miles in AS program.

I do have a decent stash of miles in many programs (UA, AA, AS, US) so I'm wondering if it makes sense to start collecting skymiles as well. These are the trips I'd like to do in next few years from SFO

- Banff (calgary, alberta)
- Big island, Hawaii
- France/Switzerland
- Mexico
- Australia/New Zealand
- India

I rarely fly paid flights. If I do they are generally with flexperks or arrival miles. I like to earn miles with sign up bonuses or easy MS.

I've read that delta miles are good for Australia and for flying Saudia to middle east. Is there a way to leverage the delta program for me?

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
I'm based in SFO and have never collected skymiles. I have signed up for many of the major CCs so far. I see an offer for delta skymiles now and then but b/c people are always beating up skymiles program, I've never bothered. I flew delta to Alaska this year and collected miles in AS program.

I do have a decent stash of miles in many programs (UA, AA, AS, US) so I'm wondering if it makes sense to start collecting skymiles as well. These are the trips I'd like to do in next few years from SFO

- Banff (calgary, alberta)
- Big island, Hawaii
- France/Switzerland
- Mexico
- Australia/New Zealand
- India

I rarely fly paid flights. If I do they are generally with flexperks or arrival miles. I like to earn miles with sign up bonuses or easy MS.

I've read that delta miles are good for Australia and for flying Saudia to middle east. Is there a way to leverage the delta program for me?
IMHO Delta miles would be useful for infrequent routes that Delta operates - say between a hub and a small city. You would definitely find low level saver awards. However for frequent flights between big cities, you will not find saver awards and the value proposition goes for a toss. This is applicable for international destinations as well. try some real time searches from multiple cities to where you like to fly and you will see for yourself. You must apply only if you get a good offer of at least 50k miles on delta card. If not you may not get the value from your application. Generally, it is always good to diversify and that might definitely help you. Hope this helps.

LowHassleMS

Level 2 Member
thanks.. I did a search for SFO to Kona and there are maybe 5 days in the whole year taht have saver level award.
Banff was a lot better although it is blocked off for most of the weekends.

Connecting thru a hub kills the likelihood of finding saver space on both the flights.

They partner with alaska but it is easier to redeeme avios for alaska. I've got many other amex cards to get before delta so I will probably pass