Happy New Year from TaggingMiles! Our new year got off to a bang early, when we were nominated for “Best New Blog Of 2014” by Travel Summary! If you find our blog somewhat interesting (or just want to watch Joe embarrass himself if we win), click over to Travel Summary and vote for us – we greatly appreciate your support!
The Weekly News Roundup is a collection of headlines from around the internet that caught the attention of the Tagging Miles team. Content on these blogs do not necessarily reflect the positions of Tagging Miles, and should not be considered endorsements. Have a great story we should read? Contact us now and let us know!
Spanning the Globe
- Etihad’s first resident in The Residence, Gino Bertuccio reviews Etihad’s inaugural A380. The tidbit I liked the most (other than the glass ship), was that Gino invited someone from economy to join him for Breakfast.
- Lucky also posted a review of the new Etihad First Class product, The First Apartments. Don’t worry: Trevor’s review is coming soon.
- View from the Wing confirms that Hyatt Diamond status challenges are returning. I hate to see folks focus so highly on gaming these types of offers, but, he does clarify that existing Hyatt Platinums can use the offer to earn Diamond status… Something to think about for FTU attendees in December (or the upcoming one) that got Hyatt Platinum, or those with the Chase credit card.
- One Mile at a Time highlights the Hilton HHonors hotel category changes. Of particular note: Hilton Bora Bora Nui Resort and Spa and Hilton Waikoloa Villa both went down a category.
View from the Wing also shared a new 5th Freedom Route from TAM – New York-JFK to Toronto. He notes its a particularly nice opportunity for Avios redemptions. (Not sure what a 5th Freedom Route is? Here’s a quick explanation.)
- Marriott is bringing a new hotel brand to the U.S., according to Skift. But will it be so easily adopted?
Giving Credit Where Credit is Due
- Another great nominee for Travel Summary’s Best New Blog of 2014 honor, Doctor of Credit offers his predictions for credit cards for 2015. He has a PhD in this stuff, so we should probably go with it, right?
Meanwhile, back in Atlanta…
- Ever wonder how a sardine feels? Try flying Delta’s new “Basic Economy” fare. Cooper Review offers a look at how flying a Delta airplane sometimes feels – complete with illustrations!
In Remembrance of 2014
- At the end of 2014, we remember the tragedies that united fliers around the world in sorrow. Our hearts still go out to those affected by these sad events.
- As he does ever year, Cranky Flier recounts the airlines we lost in 2014…. The saddest part, was that there were some we barely knew.